XXVIII: COMING OUT

Claudia dropped out of the air, caught by Steve and Eddie, who lowered her gently onto the ground. Everyone ran over, check she was okay. Robin, however, stood in shock at what she'd said. Had she outed herself? Had she outed Claudia?

Dustin and Steve both threw their arms around Claudia. "Oh my God, that was the most terrifying moment of my life," Steve said, "I'm so glad you're alive."

"Yeah, me too," Claudia said, patting Steve on the back. She looked over at Robin, beckoning her over with her hand. "Will you all give us a minute?" She asked the others. They obliged, walking back to the rock.

Claudia stayed sat on the ground, and Robin took a seat next to her. "I'm sorry," she said.

"For?"

"I practically just outed us, Claudia-"

"I'm sure they thought it was just platonic."

"They didn't. Before you came to your senses, they all looked at me with this- this look and when Nancy asked about it, I just froze. I didn't know what to say, so now I've made it totally obvious, and-"

"Calm down. These people. They're our friends, alright? They're not like everyone else in school, and they're not like Daniel. I'm sure they'll be fine with it. If not, then fuck them. We've got Steve and Dustin."

"Dustin?"

"He kind of figured it out. I almost let it slip, but I'm pretty sure he knew before that, so."

"I hate how smart that child is."

"Thank you for saving me, Robin. He was saying all this shit, putting things in my head. I know you're worried now, but if you didn't say that, I would have let him take me."

"You're welcome. I do love you, Claudia. But I think you know that."

"Oh, I do now. I love you, too."

"I thought we'd lost you. I was so scared. Everyone was. I'm not the only one here who loves you. I mean, even Eddie was nearly in tears, and you've known him for what? A week? Less? Anything that that monster says is totally wrong, alright?"

"Yeah. I know. It was just so hard to ignored him, he had hold of me, and he was just pulling at me, physically and mentally. I couldn't take it. That was the hardest thing I've ever been through. The vision I had, it was the same as that nightmare I told you about, with Daniel and my parents. That thing, that scene, I never wanna see it again, but now it's engraved into my brain."

Robin said nothing more. She took Claudia in her arms, holding onto her so tightly, as if she was trying to stop her from flying away, yet, somehow, so gently, as if she could break at any moment.

And she could. Claudia could break. She was always on the verge of breaking. She was always vulnerable. Any mention of Daniel, or her dad, or the thought of having to hide her and Robin. She tried her best to mask it. She laughed off comments people would make about Daniel, and she never told people about her dad. She acted as if she was okay standing away from Robin in public, but she wasn't. She wanted to be with her all the time. To always be holding her, kissing her, loving her, but she couldn't. It was too dangerous. So dangerous, in fact, that they hadn't told their friends until now, and the coming out wasn't exactly planned.

Claudia looked over to make sure no one was look at them, then leaned in to kiss Robin. They let their lips linger for a second. It wasn't like their usual kisses, which were always filled with impatience. It was just one, soft kiss, both of them being gentle with the other. They walked back over to the group, who were stood in an awkward silence.

"So... are you guys, like... you know?" Nancy asked. Claudia looked at her funnily. "It wouldn't change anything! We won't tell anyone, it's just unexpected." Everyone nodded.

The two girls looked at each other, and Robin took a hold of Claudia's hand. "Yeah," Robin said, "We are."

It felt like a weight lifted off their chest. Everyone was surprisingly fine with it. They knew it wouldn't be this easy with other people. With their parents, with the classmates. But these people, the people who they were closest with, accepted them. For now, in this day and age, it was enough.

author speaks
ik it's kind of unrealistic for everyone to be accepting in the 80s, but for the rest of the fic robin and claudia won't be getting much privacy, and i still want them to be able to act like a couple, so.