XXXIV: INSECURE

They made it to the War Zone, which was pretty crowded. "So much for avoiding angry hicks," Robin said.

"I'm already feeling targeted," Claudia said, letting go of Robin's hand. These were not the type of people who would take two girls holding hands lightly.

"Let's be quick," Nancy said.

"Definitely," Erica said.

They looked around for anything they could to protect themselves. Robin, Steve and Claudia filled up their cart with cans of gasoline. "How many of these do you think we need?" Robin asked.

"Like five or six," Steve said.

Claudia looked up at Robin, who seemed to be staring at someone. When she looked to see who it was, she saw Vickie. Claudia looked at Steve, who didn't seem to be thinking the same thing as her. He shook his head.

Robin waved at Vickie, then turned back around to see the look on Claudia's face. "What?" She asked.

"Are you that clueless?" Claudia said, slamming the van of gasoline she was holding into Steve's hands and storming out of the store.

She was barely out of the door, when she was stopped by someone. She looked up, seeing her ex, Daniel. "Claudia! What are you buying? Guns? Trying to protect yourself from this killer?" He asked.

"More like protecting myself from creeps like you," Claudia said.

"Funny. You know, the best way to hide from a killer is to stay in groups. Groups of people who can protect you. I can protect you."

"You lost a fight to Steve Harrington. He's never won a fight in like, his whole life."

"I was caught off guard."

"No, you just can't find. Now move." Daniel didn't move. "I said move, asshole!"

"Have you been crying?"

"Fuck off."

Claudia finally made it past Daniel and back to the van, where Dustin, Lucas and Eddie were waiting. "Where's everyone else?" Lucas asked.

"I don't know, probably paying by now," Claudia shrugged.

"So why are you here?"

"Have you been crying?" Eddie asked.

"It's doesn't matter. I ran into Daniel, that's all."

"What, that's got you crying?"

"No, it doesn't matter, I'm just stressed, alright?"

Everyone else suddenly came bursting back into the van, all worked up. "What happened?" Lucas asked.

"We gotta go," Steve said.

"Your old friends are here," Erica asked.

Steve started the van, and Robin sat in the back, next to Claudia. Claudia rolled her eyes and moved to sit next to Dustin.

"Woah," Dustin said, "What's that about?"

"She was staring at this other girl."

"That's it?"

"No, that's not it. She's in band with Robin, and at the pep rally they seemed real friendly. Robin told me not to worry about it, and I didn't until now. Dustin, this girl is so pretty. Like, way prettier than me, and- Wouldn't you get a little insecure if you saw Suzie staring at a guy who was seemingly ten times hotter than you?"

"I guess, but then I'd tell her how I felt and we'd sort things out."

"I told her how I felt after the pep rally yet she's still staring at her."

"Claudia. You and Robin have been together for, what? A year?"

"Like, seven months."

"Still. That's a long time. Too long to throw it away just because she looked at someone else. I've seen Robin look at you, and I bet it's nothing like the way she looks at that other girl. She, like, really really loves you. And you love her."

Claudia turned to look at Robin, who seemed upset. She was quietly talking to Eddie, and Claudia assumed it was about the same thing that her and Dustin were talking about.

"Yeah, you're right. God, I'm being really petty."

"Being insecure isn't petty. You just need to work on being nicer to yourself."

"Thank you, Dustin."

"Anytime."

Claudia smiled. As much as she liked to make fun of him, Dustin was really smart. If Steve couldn't give her the right advice on something, Dustin could.

Robin and Eddie had been talking about the same thing, and Eddie did his best to give some advice.

"I just don't get it," Robin said, "I didn't even mean to look at Vickie. I feel like I'm such a bad girlfriend-"

"You're not a bad girlfriend, Robin. Stuff like this happens to all couples, it's just a misunderstanding, you guys can work it out. I think Claudia's a little unstable. You two probably haven't had any real couple time in a while, except in the bathroom earlier, so-"

"Wait, what?"

"Do you think I'm stupid?"

"Yes."

"Okay, well, thanks. Anyway. What I'm saying is that in this situation, when you haven't really had time to be a proper couple, her brain may be telling her things. I'd just talk to her about it."

"I just tried, she got up and stormed away."

"Well, try when we get out of the van. That conversation she just had with Dustin seemed pretty meaningful."

"Yeah, alright. Thanks, Eddie."