XXIX: GATE

Claudia had been filled in on the group's new theory about the gates, and the one that lay presumably at the bottom of lovers lake. This idea was one of their last hopes.

The oldest kids all hopped into a boat, ready to go out and find the gate, where Patrick died. Dustin attempted to get on the boat. "Hey, hey, you tryna sink us?" Steve asked, "This thing holds four people, tops, okay?0

"It's better this way," Nancy said, "You guys stay here with Max, keep an eye out for trouble."

"You keep an eye out!" Dustin said, "It's my goddamn theory."

"You heard Nance," Robin said.

"Who put her in charge?"

"We did," Claudia said, pointing to her and Robin.

"So you guys just get to be the power couple now?"

"Precisely."

"Compass," Nancy demanded, holding her hand out for Dustin. He gave her it, frowning.

Steve hopped on the boat, and they rowed away. "You said four!" Dustin yelled.

"Sorry," Steve shrugged.

"Bedtime at nine, kiddos!" Robin said. "Miss you already!"

"I think it's already past nine," Claudia informed her, "It's a little dark."

"What, you scared?"

"Oh, yeah, scared shitless."

They made it to about the middle of the lake, before Nancy told them to slow down

They made it to about the middle of the lake, before Nancy told them to slow down. They stopped, looking at the compass, which was going haywire. "Guys, what's going on?" Dustin asked through the walkie. "Come on guys, talk to me, what's going on?"

"Uh, Dustin," Robin said, "Your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with capital... waah!"

Steve began to take off his shoes and socks. "Woah, what do you think you're doing?" Claudia asked

"Somebody's gotta go down there and check this thing out," Steve said, "Unless one of you four can top  being a Hawkins High swim co-captain and a certified lifeguard for three years, then... it's gotta be me. No complaints, all right?"

"Hey, I'm not complaining," Eddie said, "I do not wanna go down there."

Steve pulled off his jumper, throwing it into the boat. "Dude, why are you so hairy? You gotta tame that jungle," Claudia said.

"Dustin said the exact same thing. The ladies dig this," Steve told her.

"I don't."

"Yeah, I wonder why."

Eddie wrapped one of the flash lights in a plastic bag, handing it to Steve. "Hey," he said, "Good luck." Eddie was about to light a cigarette, but Robin knocked it out of his hand.

"Gross," she said.

Steve got on the edge of the boat. "Steve?" Nancy said. "Be careful."

They waited impatiently in silence, until Steve came up from the water rapidly. "Holy shit! Any need to be so aggressive with it?" Claudia asked.

"I found it," Steve said.

"You found it?"

"Yeah, I found it. It's pretty wild. It's more of a snack-size gate than the mama gate but still, it's pretty damn big." Steve was dragged down into the water, only to come back up again. He looked at everyone, confused, until being dragged down a second time.

They all screamed for Steve, but this time, he didn't come back up. Nancy stood on the edge of the boat. "Wait, wait, wait," Eddie said, "You're not going in there, are you?"

"Just wait here," Nancy said.

Robin and Claudia gave each other 'the look' before they scooted to the edge of the boat themselves. "No, no, no, no, no, no. What are you doing? She said wait."

"Yeah, we heard her," Claudia said.

"She's in charge."

"Are you kidding me?" Robin asked, "We made that shit up."

Robin and Claudia jumped into the water, followed by Eddie. They went through the gate, and Nancy and Eddie had somehow gotten ahold of oars. Robin and Claudia, who had nothing, helped Eddie and Nancy fight off the bats that were attacking Steve by holding them down with their feet.

They finally fought off all of the bats, and Steve took a bite out of, making Claudia almost throw up. "Jesus H Christ!" Eddie yelled.

"Where'd the H come from?" Claudia asked.

"Are you okay?" Nancy asked Steve. It was a stupid question to ask considering he'd just been stabbed into and bitten multiple times by strange creatures.

"Well, they took about a pound of flesh," Steve said, "But other than that, yeah, never better."

"Uh, do you guys think these bats have, like, rabies?" Robin asked

"What?"

"It's just that rabies are, like, my number one greatest fear and I think we should probably get you to a doctor like really soon because once the symptoms set in, it's too late. You're already, like, dead."

"We're in another dimension and you're greatest worry is rabies?" Claudia asked.

"Yes! Do you have a problem with that?"

"No it's just... weird."

"You're weird."

The bats started to chitter in the distance, flying over and crowding around the gate. "All right," Steve said, "There's not that many, we can take them. Right?"

He was proven wrong when another, huge swarm began to fly over. "You were saying?"

"The woods," Nancy said, "Come on."

They ran towards the woods, and Claudia stayed close to Robin. "You run like an animated cowboy," she told her.

"That was oddly specific and highly offensive, so, fuck you."

"Maybe not in another dimension," Claudia whispered. Robin paused for a minute, before hearing the sound of the creatures again and continuing her run.