S I X ∘ Comptine d'un Autre été

POV: BELLA VINCENT
Tuesday, October 31 2017

Aaron was already gone by the time I woke up again.

He left a note on the refrigerator, saying he needed to run errands before school and would be there by second period.

I pulled into the parking lot a little early, noticing it was almost empty.

I slung my bag over my shoulder and got out of the car, taking my Wuthering Heights book with me—one of my favorites, which was conveniently stored the spare room Aaron gave me. I had one earphone in, so I tucked it behind my arm for now.

"Bella!" I raised my head and saw Ben waving me over. His other hand was folded around Angela's.

"Hey." I smiled at them. "Where is everybody?"

"Oh, there's a play tonight for Halloween. Most of the students are setting up. It's probably gonna be an easy day for classes."

"That reminds me," Angela exclaimed. "I have to help Jess with the soundtrack list. I should go find her."

"I'll go with you. We'll see you at lunch, Bella." They walked up the steps, and I walked back to lean against my truck. There were another twenty minutes until the first bell.

I turned up the volume to my music and hummed along.

My concentration was broken too soon after, when I heard two smooth car engines. I barely lifted my eyelids enough to see five graceful figures emerging from their vehicles.

As if he could feel my eyes on him, Edward Cullen turned around to look at me. I twisted away from him slowly, closing my eyes again and tilting my head back to rest on the window.

I continued to sing softly to myself, trying not to think about that boy's gaze I still felt on my face. Minutes passed, but he didn't look away. I wondered what his problem was.

Deciding to shake him, I walked around to the back of my truck and purposely dropped my keys. Bending down to pick them up, I mouthed Invisique.

Now cloaked, I stood up again to look directly at him. It took him a second to register that I should have been visible to him by now. I started to walk over to him.

His utterly confused expression was priceless. He narrowed his eyes and kept slightly turning his head to see if he could find me.

I didn't stop laughing until I reached the steps. I mumbled, "Phasmatos Oculacs," and cleared my throat to signal where I was.

He whipped his head around to lock eyes on me. I kept my expression neutral, facing forward.

Not able to control myself, I chuckled. I doubted he could hear.

The first bell rang and I took my time getting to class.

As Ben predicted, it was an easy day. So far, all we'd done in class is watch movies. I knew Mr. Banner would put one on, too, as he did yesterday. I didn't know what to expect for gym.

I walked to the cafeteria and grabbed an apple from the line. I really should be eating more. Maybe I'd start bringing a thermos of blood to school. Ha.

I stopped about halfway to Ben's table, then turned around, deciding to just walk around the school instead.

After a while, I passed by the auditorium. I didn't hear anyone inside, so thinking it was the best place to keep to myself, I opened the door. It was dimly lit, but it was still enough for me to see clearly. If I were human, I would be feeling my way for a light switch.