T W E L V E ∘ Undead

POV: BELLA VINCENT
Monday, November 6 2017

When I opened my eyes again, I forgot where I was at first.

I awoke gasping, clutching my neck. I felt the heavy flow of blood shooting up to my brain, giving me life again. It gave me a slight headache.

I looked around the room, pausing at the large windows where the sun was just coming up and shining through. I was about to get up until I sensed seven pairs of eyes on my back. Their expressions held pure shock and confusion.

"I told you to take me home," I growled.

It took a second, but Edward finally spoke. "You died."

I decided to play it off nonchalantly, rolling my eyes. I moved to walk past them, but Jasper stepped in my path, his piercing yellow eyes locked on me. Emmett grabbed Jasper's arm, keeping him in place for some reason.

"Some personal space, maybe?" I narrowed my eyes at the blond mophead, annoyed. Maybe I overestimated the doctor's ethics. Were they actually going to hold me hostage for questioning?

"You died," Edward said again, sternly this time.

Carlisle gave him a disapproving look, then turned to me with a gentle smile. "What do you remember about last night?"

"I remember everything. The carnival, the fire... Then I remember your son kidnapping me before I could tell my brother what happened. Now, if you don't mind, he's friends with the police chief and is probably already there filling out a missing persons report, so I should go."

Once again, Jasper got in my way.

"Do you have a problem?" I tried to keep my voice calm, but it was difficult. A girl just died and came back to life, and these people think it's okay to bombard her even though they're complete strangers.

"You died—"

"Yeah, I heard you!" I yelled at my kidnapper. "It wasn't the first time, and I doubt it will be the last."

"What?"

I sighed impatiently. "That's the third time I've died. I always come back. It's not fun, but it happens. It's not a big deal."

"That's... the third time you've died?" Emmett asked.

Well, there was no going back now. My voice was flat and steely. "Yes. What's it to you? You don't know me. Let's keep it that way."

I had just taken a step out the front door when I heard the doctor's calm voice trailing through the house. "Drive her home, son. See what—"

"I can walk home," I said immediately.

There was a pause. "She heard that?" Emmett realized, oddly fascinated.

"Bella, wait." I reluctantly turned to see Alice following me down the front steps. "Is it really so terrible that you make some more friends?"

"Me dying in your house doesn't make us friends."

"It could." Her dazzling smile was inviting. She reminded me of Caroline. Bubbly, happy, caring of everyone, even strangers. That's the only reason I started to consider it.

"I have to find my brother. He's probably worried."

"Well, you have a phone, don't you?"

I sighed again.

"All right, fine. I can see you're not gonna change your mind. I'll see you at school!"

She skipped back inside without another word. I automatically started my long walk to Aaron's, hoping no one else would stop me.

I should've known it wouldn't be that easy.

"Bella." Edward's smooth voice interrupted my train wreck of thoughts. "Let me take you. Our driveway alone will take you an hour. You just came back from the dead. Don't let your ego get you passed out."

I was really tired... "Only if you give me an explanation."

"Of?"

"Why you saved me. How you knew I was even in that fire. How you stopped Griffith from attacking you. Why you brought me to your father instead of a hospital..."

"Griffith? You know him?"

"No, not him personally. I just know things about his family."

"Things like?"

"He comes from a powerful bloodline. He's the only reason I died. If he weren't there, I would've healed. Although, he did start the fire."

"Why? What did he want?"

"Me. Look, I don't have time for this right now. I'll... come back tomorrow. And when I get the answers I want, I'll give you the answers you want. But right now, I need to find my brother." I held up my hand to silence him when he opened his mouth again. "And I'll walk."

I thought it was best to wait until I was out of view before I started to run at inhuman speed.

I'd risk blacking out on the way back before letting him know where I live. I needed every advantage I could get.