S I X T E E N ∘ Freefall

POV: BELLA VINCENT
Tuesday, November 7 2017

"Breathe, Mike," I reminded him.

"Right. Right." He took a deep, calculated breath.

I was impressed. He reacted relatively well to the whole vampire thing.

"So what do you want to do?"

He snapped his head up. "Do I have to decide right now?"

"Not right this second, no. You have about twelve hours until your time runs out."

"Well, what happens in twelve hours?"

"You can choose to feed and complete the transition... or you'll die. For real this time."

"What about my family?"

"You have a choice about them, too. You can either learn to adapt the hard way and stay here to live your new life in secret, or you can disappear."

"What did you do?"

"I stayed with my family. But I had it easy. They weren't human, either. They helped me."

He stood.

"I died, too, you know. I remember what that was like. It sucked." I tried to comfort him with the fact that I knew just what he was going through, this horrible thing we unfortunately now had in common, but it probably wasn't helpful in the least.

He nodded with wide eyes.

"I meant what I said. I'll help you if you decide to do this. It's not a terrible way to live. I don't regret the choice I made, not one bit."

He rubbed his hands together while he stared out my window. "I don't want to die, but I don't want to hurt anybody..."

"You don't have to. There are blood bags." Elena came to mind, but she quickly vanished when I remembered she was no longer a vampire.

I felt for Mike, sincerely. But part of me wanted to rush him a little. He could always decide to complete the transition as a trial-type thing, then change his mind later if he wasn't happy with it. It was a disgusting thing to think, but I didn't have a lot of time to fix this mess I made.

I guess I really was just an awful person.

"I need to go. Stay in this room. Don't go near Aaron. I'll be back later." I turned on my heel but was ripped back by his hand.

"Where are you going? You're leaving me alone like this?"

"I have to take care of something before it can come back to bite me, no pun intended. You'll remember why in a few hours."

Unless I wanted to come back here to an angry baby vampire and a dead fake brother, I needed to be as fast with this as possible.

I wasn't gonna bother knocking, but Alice was sitting on their front steps. The way her small porcelain face lit up as soon as she saw me, it almost seemed like she was waiting for me.

"Is Carlisle here?" I asked impolitely.

"No, he's still at the hospital. Most of the staff had kids and grandkids who knew Jessica and Mike, so he was kind enough to cover their shifts today."