E L E V E N ∘ Unwilling

POV: BELLA VINCENT
Sunday, November 5 2017

When Edward took a sharp turn, it woke me up a little.

"No, no... I need to go home," I mumbled slowly. "Take me home."

"Just stay alive until we get there."

I groaned. My eyes opened slightly, enough to see the town lights flashing by at a speed that was definitely not safe for these windy roads.

Sooner than he should've been able to, he parked the car and ran around to get me out.

How the hell did the drive back to Forks take Edward twenty minutes when it took Aaron over an hour to get to Port Angeles? Did I just keep blacking out on the way?

As he carried me up the steps, I heard another car approaching. Edward didn't wait for them.

I instantly recognized this house. It's wooden structure and glass walls. This is the same house I saw when I first got here. This was where the Cullens lived?

"Oh, my goodness!"

"What happened?"

I realized the latter voice to be the doctor's. Carlisle, I think Edward said? The other was a woman's. I assumed she was Carlisle's wife.

"She was attacked in a burning building. It was a man I didn't know. He's not from town."

"Her heart is slowing. Lay her here."

I was placed on a soft couch. It felt like a dentist's chair, but I couldn't open my eyes to see for sure.

"Why the hell would you take her here?" a girl demanded to know.

"Take me home," I insisted again.

"Yeah, what she said," the same girl agreed with me. She sounded like a bitch, but I liked her anyway.

"Rose," Carlisle's wife reprimanded.

"Esme, she can't be here. Why am I the only one concerned about it?"

I started thinking.

I knew they wouldn't listen to me and take me to Aaron's. I knew I was gonna die, any minute now, and it was gonna be here with them. There's nothing I could do about that now. I wasn't strong enough to escape on my own.

But maybe I would also figure out what was so strange about them, too.

What did Rosalie mean? 'She can't be here.'

Why not?

Why do they live in such a remote place? Why do they bother going to school if they don't even interact with anybody else? What was the point? Why did Edward save me? How was he able to get Vincent Griffith off him so quickly? Why did he take me to his home, to be in the private care of his father, instead of taking me to a hospital?

I'd have a better chance of surviving if he took me to a hospital. I'd probably be able to get to the blood bank myself.

But then he would've followed me. And my secret would be blown.

Not that this is any better. No matter what, I'd have been screwed.

I wasn't obligated to explain myself, though, I reminded myself. In a few hours, I'd come back to life, then I would just leave.

Sounded simple enough. They could ask how all they wanted. Not my problem.

I didn't think they'd keep me hostage until I spilled my life story. Being a doctor, I would like to think Carlisle is a good enough person not to let that happen.

I heard their panicked, muffled voices still arguing over what to do as I took my last shallow breath, and my heart stopped.