F I F T E E N ∘ Just Deserts

POV: BELLA VINCENT
Tuesday, November 7 2017

"You're..."

"A witch," I finished for Alice.

"She's a witch!" Emmett was still laughing.

Everyone ignored him. Carlisle sat down with a confused yet intrigued look on his face. "That's how you came back to life."

I hummed. "Not exactly. I'm only half-witch. But it's more complicated than that."

"What's the other half?" Rose sat up straighter, and I copied her.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

Emmett stood up and walked out of the room to pull himself together. "I don't believe her already," he chuckled to himself.

I raised my arm toward the remote on the ottoman that sat between all of us and gestured toward the giant clown. "Motus." It flew across the room and hit Emmett's shoulder blade.

I gave them a second to react.

"I come from the Gemini Coven. Our last name is Parker, though. It's from my mom's side. I'm a Swan because my dad raised me."

"And where are they now?" Esme wanted to know.

"My mom died when I was four, but I barely knew her. My dad died when I was fifteen. A Griffith killed him."

"I'm so sorry, honey." She came over to sit next to me and rubbed my back soothingly.

"Thanks. It was a very long time ago; I've since moved on."

"Four years isn't long at all."

I looked at her. "It hasn't been four years since my dad died. It's been one-hundred-and-thirty."

They all froze, even Emmett. His expression would've killed me if I wasn't in such a serious mood.

"How old are you?" Edward asked.

"Nineteen," I answered automatically.

"And how long have you been nineteen?"

I laughed. "I was born in 1872. September 13th... After he died, I lived with my grandparents. My grandfather was the leader of our coven. Our family is a lot more complicated than other witches. In order for our bloodline to carry on, we needed twins from every generation. When the twins turned twenty-two, they would merge. Like, literally merge. The weaker one would die and combine their power with the stronger one, who would become our coven's next leader. And if the leader ever died, every single person we shared blood with would die."

"Yes, I would say that's complicated," Alice commented. "So, you were nineteen when you died the first time... How did that happen?"

The cold silver rings I wore around my neck, always hidden under my shirt, had never felt so heavy.

I shut my eyes, seeing flashes of the night my life truly began. It took me a second before I could form the words. "I died in childbirth."

Edward and Esme gasped. Rosalie's hardened features softened entirely.

Knowing there was no way in hell I would cry in front of these people, I powered through. "There were complications. I was still mostly human at this time, so I didn't heal like I do now."