S E V E N ∘ Questions

POV: EDWARD CULLEN
Tuesday, October 31 2017

"Are you riding with us?" Alice asked me.

"Not today," I told her.

Her eyes narrowed. Wanna talk about it?

I shook my head, barely moving it so no one else would notice our private conversation. A thing my little sister and I had perfected.

She shrugged and followed the rest of our siblings into Rosalie's car.

I sat in mine for a few minutes after they left, not in any hurry. My mind was relaxed, listening to Clair De Lune.

Too soon, my peace was interrupted.

Isabella invaded my thoughts. The way she carried herself was unusual for a human. Calm, but fierce. It was as if she were always looking out for danger, always preparing for—perhaps always expecting—trouble. Something that's common for vampires.

The fact that I couldn't read her thoughts was further convincing me that it was true, that something dangerous was happening with her. I wouldn't stop until I figured out why. And I was the definition of danger.

Her scent was unlike anything I'd ever encountered before. Above all else, that would keep me close.

Almost automatic, my Volvo made its way out of the driveway and toward the school.

I was driving too fast, even more so than usual. I caught up with my sister's car, and we pulled into our regular parking spots next to each other.

Immediately, I spotted her.

For a tenth of a second, Isabella's eyes met mine, and she quickly looked away. They were shut as she listened to music against her truck. I heard her humming, but it wasn't distinct enough for me to recognize the song.

I didn't realize how long I'd been staring at her until my brother punched me, mock written all over his face. Emmett didn't speak. He just gave me a knowing look. He understood—more or less—that I had a connection with this girl. I kept myself from thinking any more about it.

They had all went inside, leaving me alone with my infatuation.

She leaned away from her truck and walked around it. Her keys fell from her palm, and she bent down to retrieve them.

Why was I so intrigued with her? I didn't know an ounce of her personality. It was just her scent and her absent mind that kept my interest peaked.

I narrowed my eyes. Why was it taking her so long to pick up her keys? I realized I would have heard them rattle when she picked them back up.

There was something else.

I no longer heard her heartbeat or her shallow, cautious breathing.

Where did she go?

My eyes widened as I scanned the entire parking lot, which was nearly empty.

It was impossible, but it happened. She disappeared.

Someone cleared their throat, which distracted me long enough to pause my search.