N I N E T E E N ∘ Corruption

POV: BELLA VINCENT
Monday, November 13 2017

"I'm going to ask you one last time," I started, staring intently into Mike's eyes. We were sitting in my truck in front of Aaron's house. "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

"Yes—"

"Because there is plenty of time for—"

"Bella."

"You still have a lot to learn about—"

"I said yes."

"We don't have to rush into—"

"Bella!"

I looked over at him.

"I'm aware I... may be sliding back into my life a little too quickly. I'm aware I may screw everything up. But I need something to live for." He smiled enthusiastically. "For lack of a better word."

I rolled my eyes. "Very funny."

I parked in back, just a few minutes before the bell would ring, dreading what I knew was waiting for me.

Edward Cullen was leaning against his car, eyes unwavering. Alice was by his side, practically beaming in place. I rested my head on the steering wheel for a moment, trying to resist the urge to flee.

"Do you need a minute?"

"I just need to get through it," I vacillated as Mike and I stepped out of the car. "Wait right outside the front office. I'll be there in a minute."

He stepped away hesitantly. "If you say so."

When he was enough of a distance away—he hadn't quite mastered the distant hearing thing—I approached the Cullens. "What the hell do you want?"

"Where have you b—"

Alice cut him off. "We were just curious to see how it's going with Mike. How's he handling the adjustment?"

I raised my eyebrows in astonishment. "The... adjustment? I don't know what vampirism is like for you people, but he died. Mike actually died. So, I think it's safe to say this life adjustment has been a little rocky. Which is why I have to do this."

They exchanged a glance as I turned away from them and faced the entry to the parking lot.

"We'll see," he whispered, just barely audible enough for me to hear. I remembered what Jasper told me about his gift. What did she ask him in her mind?

I raised my hands outward, my focus solely on Mike.

I haven't said it aloud, but I'm sure Mike knew I didn't totally trust him yet. He's only been a vampire for five days. Less than a week! He's a fetus. I needed to be cautious.

"Otum adnarvet esnavit atim," I chanted. "Otum adnarvet esnavit atim. Otum adnarvet esnavit atim." A wave of wind blew my hair back. I opened my eyes and nodded to myself in satisfaction.

"What was that for?" Alice asked cautiously.

"It's a boundary spell," I informed them. "It's used to seal people into an enclosed location. No one can enter and no one can leave the school grounds without my say so."

"Excuse me?" Edward's voice rose.

"Can you relax? Not everything's about you." I pushed past them. "It's for Mike. In case he loses control, or anything else happens, the problem is isolated and I can deal with it." I turned back to face them, a wide smile twisting into a rictus. "You seem to be a glass-half-empty kind of guy, so you may want to take the day off. You're free to pass the threshold as you wish."