F O U R T E E N ∘ Covens

POV: BELLA VINCENT
Tuesday, November 7 2017

I dreaded my upcoming day. Spending time with the Cullens and spilling my life story? Why did I do this to myself?

I wouldn't talk first. At least there was that.

Taking the truck Aaron gave me, I got there by eleven.

Carlisle greeted me at the door. If it were anyone else, I wouldn't have been so nice. "Isabella. Please, come in."

"Thanks... You can just call me 'Bella.' Isabella sounds too formal."

"All right, then, Bella. Call me Carlisle. Everyone is in the living room upstairs."

"I know. I can hear them." I nodded, then paused. "Was that creepy? It sounded creepy."

He just laughed.

"Hello, dear. We didn't get a chance to meet. I'm Esme." I recalled how her voice sounded, but she was nothing like I pictured. She wasn't tense like her children. She was genuinely pleasant, soft-spoken, and beautiful. She kind of looked like my mother, minus the silky chalk-like white skin.

I forced my lips to turn up. "I'm Bella. You have a lovely home."

"Thank you! I love to decorate. Would you like to sit? I could get you something to drink."

"Easy, love. She's only just walked in the door," the doctor half-smiled.

He was definitely my favorite.

Carlisle kissed her temple, and I felt the overwhelming urge to tear my eyes away at the adorable and private gesture.

My heart squeezed at his sweet pet name for her.

Love. That's what Klaus always called me. I was a sucker for that English accent.

It was quiet for a few moments, and I wanted nothing but to turn around right now and run out.

I raised my arm at Edward. "I'm pretty sure you're up."

He nodded reluctantly.

"How did you know where I was?"

"I saw you run off toward the building after the explosion. You pulled a girl out and ran right back inside to save someone else. It was incredible."

I sighed. "What can I say? I'm a lovely person." The words didn't match my tone.

Emmett cleared his throat uncomfortably.

I crossed my arms. "And the rest of it? How did you push him back like that, and why did you drive me here?"

I didn't know what I expected his answer to be. I knew they weren't human, and I also knew they probably wouldn't just tell me straight out. They wouldn't be able to trust me with that information, just like I wouldn't be able to trust them with the whole truth about who and what I was, either.

"I had an adrenaline rush."

I laughed. "How many times have you used that one?"

He shrugged. "Not many, actually."

"Mm-hm, right."

"Is it our turn?"

"Go ahead." I slouched on the small love seat behind me.

Carlisle's eyes gleamed with curiosity. "I think I'll start with the most obvious one... You came back to life. How?"

I raised my eyebrows. "That's a big one."

They waited.

"It's just... the way I am." That's the best I'd give them for now.

"Why did you run into the burning building?" Edward asked.

"Why not?" I said passively.

"Touché," Carlisle noted.

Alice scooted up in her seat. "Who is Griffith?"

"I never met him before last night."

"How is that possible?" Rosalie asked. "Why was he after you then?"

"I'm pretty sure he just wants to use me to get back at someone. I don't know why. Vincent Griffith comes from a long line of one of the most powerful covens in the world. They're hard to beat." I lowered my head at the harsh memory that was forever singed into my brain from over a century ago...

"Coven?" Edward and Carlisle exchanged a look.

"Witches. There are a bunch of covens, but there are five that easily overcome all the rest."

"Witches," Emmett chortled and punched Jasper's arm.

"Who are they?" Carlisle asked, scolding the two with his eyes.

"The five covens?"

He nodded.

"Mikaelson is the top of the chain. Then Bennett, Griffith, Salvatore, and Gemini. They write most of the spells, have the most grimoires. No other coven can stand against them."

"How do you know so much about them?"

This was it. The beginning of the whole truth...

Maybe it won't be so bad. Perhaps they can even help me get back home somehow. The worst thing is they could try to hurt me, but I knew I would be fine.

Coming here and expecting to lie made no sense. I should've known.

I sighed, giving up. "Because I'm one of them."