Ch. 24

|Kirya's POV|

"Babe, come on. We're already late and I don't want to hear my mom's mouth." I whined. Just last year me and my mom formed a bond again. After my sister died, she came running to me and asking for another chance. It took me 3 years to forgive her and here we are now.

"You sure you want to go." Kareem asked, coming down the steps. He wasn't too fond of my mother and wanted me to have nothing to do with her.

"Yes, and make sure you're nice to her." I reminded him, adding a extra coat of lipstick to my lips.

"Why do we have to have dinner with her, when we can have dinner here at our house." He complained. I glared at him as he grabbed his keys and walked out the door.

I followed behind him and locked the house up as well. After getting in the car, Kareem wasted no time speeding off.

"Could you slow down?" I asked him politely. He sighed, but did as I asked. I raised an eyebrow at him and his attitude. It was becoming annoying.

Before I question him, it's like he was reading my mind and turned the music up. I sat back and closed my eyes. I just hope he doesn't keep this up at dinner.

AT KIRYA'S MOTHER HOUSE

"Hey mom." I smiled, sniffing the air. "Everything smells good."

She smiled and hugged me, then took a look at Kareem. He was playing on his phone, so I cleared my throat to get his attention.

"Damn, my bad.." He mumbled. I gave him a glare and then he realized what he said.

"My fault Ms. Trisha, how you doing?" He chuckled. She just shook her head and gave him a simple 'fine'.

We followed behind her in the kitchen and sat down at her bar. Kareem was playing on his phone, and I rubbed my eyes. Why couldn't he just be supportive for one day?

"So Kareem, what do you do.." My mom smiled. And here it goes.. I bet you they start arguing.

"No disrespect Ms. Trisha, but I'm sure you know what I do." He tells her, finally putting his phone away.

My mom looked at me, but I shifted in my seat. I was uncomfortable with the tension in the room. My mother was a sarcastic woman, and Kareem had a smart mouth. This was gon' be a long night.

"Kirya, how is college going? How are them grades going?"

"They're good actually." I smiled small. "I have B's in all of my classes, except one but I can bring that up."

"And what do you have in that one class?" She asked.

"It's a C, but the class is difficult. He's not really lecturing, just giving us a chapter to read and we have to write our own notes." I explain to her.

"That's not good enough.." She frowned, shaking her head. "You should be getting all A's."

Kareem smacked his lips.

"Why do you care about her grades? You just-"

"Kareem.." I sighed, looking at him. "Please don't."

"Why? She act like you failing or something.." He mumbled.

"A C is failing in my eyes." She tells him.

"Well it's a good thing you're not a teacher, because nobody would like you." He laughs. "I swear, nothing is ever good enough for people."

I hopped off my stool when my mother wasn't looking and stood in front of Kareem. "Babe." I whined, kissing his lips. He returned it, but still had a mug.