Prologue

--------------

"Columbina....get your coat on. We're going out." The tall man said to the black and pink haired girl sitting on the floor.

"Daddy, can I come too?" You ask the man.

You always went everywhere with your twin sister.

You two were inseparable.

"No, (Y/N), only Columbina. You can come next time." Your father says, the tone of his voice implying that there was no use arguing with him.

"But I want to come with you and Bina! You aren't that good at helping her get around Daddy." You tell your father.

You knew very well that your twin sister was born blind.

She was a beauty, significantly more than you, and you accepted that, but many people in the village you live in saw your sister's blindness as a weakness, some even telling your father he should just leave her to the Nykaki.

But both you and your mother stuck by Columbina's side, until your mother got sick and died a few months ago. Still, you never left Columbina's side unless you absolutely had to.

Eventually Columbina gets up and you grab her her jacket, since it can take a while for her to find it herself.

Columbina slips it over her shoulders, gives you a shaky hug, and her and your father leave into the snow.

Alone in your house, you sit down in your father's armchair by the fire, unsure of what to do while the rest of your family are gone.

You look out the window into the snow and see two golden shooting stars.

You close your eyes and make a wish.

"Dear Tsaritsa, beloved Archon of Cryo, I make this wish to you. Please give my sister the ability to see. And if you can't give her permanent eyesight, please at least let her be able to see temporarily, so she at least gets to see the world once. Thank you. From, (Y/N)." You say.

It had always been your wish, to give Columbina the ability to see, ever since you were four. Every birthday cake, every star, every shooting star, every Snowspire Festival. It was always the same wish.

Still, despite it being three years with no success, you still refused to give up.

You continue to stare out into the snow until your eyes grew heavy and you end up falling asleep in your father's chair.

After a while, you wake up to the sound of the door opening.

You quickly rub your eyes and get up, excited to see your sister again. However, you find your father, covered in snow with tears running down his face.

"Daddy? Where's Bina?" You ask.

Your father is silent for a moment before speaking in a shaky voice.

"Your sister....she wandered off and....she was...well...she was found by a Nykaki before I could find her. I'm so sorry." Your father says. His voice breaks on 'sorry' and he pulls you into a hug, continuing to cry.

It takes a moment for your father's words to sink in, but eventually you connect the dots.

He means your twin sister is dead.

You begin to sob inconsolably, your heart shattered by the loss of your dear sister and best friend.

A few days later, your father plans a small funeral for her, but only you and your father come, since no one else in the village really liked your sister due to her being blind.

After that, you're left kind of...numb.

--------------

Four years later, when you'd just turned eleven, your father was summoned to Zapolyarny Palace by the Tsaritsa herself.

He never returned.

That didn't matter much to you though. You had already made plans to leave to Mondstadt to learn how to fight and become an adventurer.

After all, it was common knowledge that most children are given to the Fatui to join their ranks, and you really didn't want that.

In fact, Snezhnaya itself held too many painful memories of your sister. You just wanted to leave it all behind and start fresh.

Taking up your small bag, you make your way to the port to board the ship to Mondstadt. It was late enough in the summer for most of the ice in the sea to have melted, guaranteeing safe passage through the usually icy sea.

You board the small ship and take one last look at the snow covered mountains of your homeland until the boat begins to move. You continue to watch the mountains of Snezhnaya grow smaller and smaller until you can barely see them any more.

Walking towards the center of the boat, you sit down on a chair in the middle and close your eyes, enjoying the feel of the cold breeze on your face.

It is one of the rare somewhat sunny days in Snezhnaya.

Now if only you'd thought to bring a book or something, since you were bored out of your mind.

If only you weren't the only one other than the captain on the boat.

You finally decide to rest your head and try to sleep.

You eventually wake up to find large green mountains on either side of you.

You'd arrived at Mondstadt at last.

--------------

After a few days of boring paperwork, you were finally legally allowed to live in Mondstadt. Once you'd gotten somewhat used to the sunny skies and green hills of Mondstadt, you decided to sign up for the Adventures Guild.

Fortunately, the lady at the booth, Katheryn, was nice to you despite your Snezhnayan origins. You kept finding yourself opening up more and more to her.

You'd also made a friend named Nils, a boy with short tan hair. He was really nice to you, and let you hold your secrets without pestering you about telling him them.

You'd become more and more adept in the use of the sword, so you could protect people, unlike how you failed to protect your sister.

Finally, after four years of guilt and painful memories, things were finally looking up for you.

--------------------------------------

Nykaki: Magical white wolves, seem to be made of pure ice. They are the main animal created by the Tsaritsa. They sometimes have a mind of their own however. The Tsaritsa's throne room houses the four of the largest and strongest Nykaki. They also serve as an extra line of defense for Snezhnaya. A single howl can cause a snowstorm.

The Snowspire Festival: A yearly festival that happens on December 17th, the one day of the year when the snow falls in reverse. This festival is also a time that children make wishes, mainly for the future, but it can also be used for other things, like in yours and Columbina's case. The Snowspire Festival is a time of cheerfulness and fun for everyone in Snezhnaya.

You would always lead your sister Columbina around the festival and buy her the treats she wants.

(Y/N and Colombina at the beginning of the prologue are seven)