Chapter Three

"So, do I have permission to ask why your friend doesn't live in the harbor?" Aleksei asks as you climb the mountain to reach Xingqiu.

"Because he's not a fish." You tease, a smile on your face.

"You know what I mean." Aleksei grumbles.

"Well, he kinda does...he lives in a few places, you know, his parents own a few houses...but right now he's not living in the harbor." You respond.

"So he is a fish." Aleksei retorts.

"No, he just has a hydro vision." You say back, glad to have had a comeback prepared in case Aleksei tried to tease you back.

"I didn't know people with a hydro vision could breathe underwater." Aleksei asks. You're not fully sure whether he's joking or not, because he sounds genuine.

You turn around and look out over the horizon to see the sun peeking out from behind the mountains.

"It's dawn....the Fatui could be looking for us soon...we should hurry." You tell Aleksei.

"If they do find us before we reach your friend, can you defend yourself? Do you have a vision?" Aleksei asks.

"Yes, I can defend myself, no, I don't have a vision." You say before starting back up the trail.

"That's good. I- I don't want you to die. You're the first person in years that's been nice to me." Aleksei says.

"Is that why you helped me escape the Fatui rather than leave me to them and protecting yourself?" You ask.

"That and the fact that you remind me of an older sibling....I don't have any siblings, but I l always wanted one...so...you know..." Aleksei says, light red dusting his cheeks.

You smile at him.

"Don't worry Aleksei, if you want me to be your older sibling, I'll be your older sibling." You say.

Then you remember your twin.

Aleksei must have noticed your face fall, because his smile melts away.

"What's wrong?" He asks softly.

"I used to.....I used to have a little sister, actually. Well, she was my twin, but I was older, and she was born blind so I was always overprotective of her." You say slowly.

"What happened to her?" Aleksei asks.

"Did you know I'm actually from Snezhnaya?" You ask.

Aleksei's eyes wide .

"No way!" He exclaims.

You nod.

"Well, one day my father took her out, but....she...ran off and...she was...found by a Nykaki before my father could find her." You say, trying to hold back tears. "We were just seven."

Aleksei grows quiet.

"I'm sorry for asking...." He says after a few heartbeats of silence.

Finally, you two reach the top of the mountain, and you spot a familiar large house below.

"Look! There's Xingqiu's house!" You exclaim, your cheerfulness returning.

You begin to run down the mountain, Aleksei following close behind.

The sun is well over the mountains behind you when both you and Aleksei finally reach Xingqiu's house.

You motion for him to stop running and stand in front of the large oak doors before you.

Deciding to not wait for anything, you knock on the door.

After a few moments of silence, a familiar face opens the door.