Chapter Six

As you wander the seemingly endless halls of Zapolyarny Palace, you realize you have a choice to make.

Do you ask someone for help on locating Columbina, or do you continue to search for her and risk getting lost in the massive castle?

Neither of those options sound all that appealing, if you're going to be honest.

You sigh.

"Hey! (Y/N)!" a familiar voice says quietly.

You turn in delight to see Aleksei quickly walking towards you.

You quickly wrap him in a hug, much to his surprise.

"Aleksei! You're alive!" You say happily.

"Yeah. I was able to make the Harbingers believe that I'd left to track you down." Aleksei says, his voice muffled from your jacket.

"I'm so happy! I thought you'd been caught at Wanmin Restaurant too!" You say, finally releasing him from your hug.

Aleksei shakes his head.

"I'm a Fatui soldier. You must be insane to think I've survived all these years without learning how to evade punishments. Or the other Harbingers, for that matter." He says.

"I'm looking for someone. Can you help me find them? I assume you know your way around." You ask.

"Of course I'll help you. You can tell me what I missed as we walk anyways. So, who are you looking for?" Aleksei asks.

"Col- I'm looking for The Damselette." You say, remembering that Aleksei once said that he doesn't know your sister's actual name.

Aleksei's smile disappears.

"Why are you looking for her?" He asks incredulously.

"So do you remember when I was telling you about my little twin sister?" You ask.

Aleksei's eyes go wide in realization.

"No way." He breathes. "But didn't you say she was dead?"

"Apparently not. That's actually a reason to why I wish to find her. I want to know why our father told me that she had died." You admit.

Aleksei nods.

"Well then, follow me. She's probably where The Doctor is. See, they've been working on a project togeth- wait, are you supposed to be walking around freely?" He asks.

"Sandrone said I could. So did Tartaglia, I guess." You say.

"Wow, you got The Marionette's approval? That's insane. She hates everyone but The Damselette, The Knave, and The Balladeer." Aleksei says.

Columbina, Arlecchino, and.....Scaramouche.

You try to engrave these names and titles into your memory.

"Why is that?" You ask.

"I guess she's just...bitter. I remember Kaylis once told me that she tore out and burned every one of the important pages of the books in the palace library just so no one else could have the same knowledge as her. I think she has some kind of resentment towards that. But don't take my word for it." Aleksei says.

"Wow. She sounds so scary." You say half sarcastically.

"Yes. So you'd better be careful. I don't want you dying. You're my best friend." Aleksei says.

Would the Marionette really kill you?

Aleksei clears his throat.

"Oh! Uh, you're my best friend too." You say quickly.