Chapter Fourteen

It had been three months since you'd last seen the Balladeer, and you were very worried about him.

You'd been essentially held hostage in a room within the workshop looking place.

You weren't allowed to leave, but you were allowed to have basic freedom.

And you were somewhat grateful for that.

However, every time you manged to catch the Doctor in a place where he could talk to you, you'd always ask to see the Balladeer.

And every time the Doctor refused without hesitation.

"You can't do this to him! He doesn't know what he's getting himself into!" You protest.

"And you do?" The Doctor asks, a smile playing at his lips.

"That shouldn't matter. I might be dumb but I have enough logic to know that trying to make someone who isn't a god into a god can only lead to something terrible!" You say.

"And you know this how? You've neither been turned into a god nor have you turned someone else into a god, so you have no right to predict the outcome of my...project." The Doctor says, seeming to consider his wording carefully.

"The main issue I have with this is that Scaramouche is not a god. No matter what he tells himself or how hard he believes it, he is not a god, and he never will be. All you can do is imitate being a god. And pretending to be a real god while it's all just an act, an imitation....that can't be anything but heartbreaking!" You say.

"Again, you have no grounds to say that. Also I see we missed the part where it was revealed that Scaramouche is the discarded puppet of the Raiden Shogun, a god." The Doctor says.

"Then it's even more of an imitation. A puppet is, by definition, not an extension nor a copy of its puppet master. Listen to yourself! You're basically saying Scaramouche is a god all while saying he's a puppet. So which is it?" You ask.

"Well, he's not a god yet. His body is still that of a puppet. It has yet to be changed into that of a god's." The Doctor says.

"You are clinically insane." You say, realizing you can't argue with this man.

"You aren't the first one to call me that." The Doctor says with a grin.

You glare at him with what you hope is the force of a thousand winters.

"Actually, while we're on the topic of discussing reality, you too are denying reality." The Doctor says.

"In what way?" You ask, genuinely confused.

The Doctor stays silent for a moment before finally answering.

"Think on that. You'll realize it eventually. Well, hopefully in the more...mundane way." The Doctor says infuriatingly cryptically.

"Let me talk to Scaramouche." You demand.

"You're quite charming, but I'm afraid I must say no. He's....not mentally stable enough to receive outside visitors." The Doctor says.

"What are you doing to him?" You ask.

"Well....I lied! The process to turn Scaramouche into a god has already begun. And since we decided to not try to reconstruct his entire body, we built a mechanical robot to act as his vessel. And, of course, he'd have to be connected to the robot for it to work, so we've been getting his body used to the liquids we chose to use in the connection cables." The Doctor says. "And, of course, having a completely foreign substance enter your body is going to have its bad side effects. He said it felt good when we first started, but I guess that feeling of euphoria wore off."