Chapter XV

Scaramouche fell on the ground, dragging down with him Kazuha, who was crying his heart out.

Scaramouche, shaking and dumbfounded, let his gaze go from the fuming gun to the hole it had created.

Right into his father's heart.

"- I- I'm so sorry, Scara... I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

- Shhh, it's okay..."

Scaramouche took Kazuha in his arms, going back and forth, trying to calm him down.

Honestly, nothing was okay, but he needed to convince Kazuha and himself it was the case.

The dark-haired young man looked back at his father. There was nothing that could be done to save him. He knew it was a good thing in the end, his father had led so many innocents to die, but he still couldn't feel completely satisfied. 

After all, his father was the only person he trusted for a long time, the person who made him who he was today, even if he didn't become exactly a good person. He taught him his vision of the world, and made him feel useful. In the end, the young man was just confused about what he should be feeling.

The only thing he was sure about was that he didn't blame Kazuha for shooting him. He knew, more than anybody, that revenge was really hard to hold back. And he also thought that Kazuha deserved to exact his vengeance for his family. He had waited for so long to discover the truth, he had the right to do what he wanted with the culprit.

Though the situation was quite complicated...

°°°

Ei and Yae came back home around fifteen minutes later. Kazuha had calmed down and Scaramouche had brought him to a bedroom for him to be at peace. He was trying to find a way to resolve the situation when the two women came in.

"- Is that... Uncle ? Kuni, what happened ?" asked Ei, a little panicked.

Yae tried to calm her down while Scaramouche was explaining everything.

"- Well, this is one kind of a situation we have here..." said Yae.

"- I agree, this is, but it might be for the best... I think."

Ei gently patted her cousin's back. 

"- I know it must be quite difficult for you. Don't worry, I still have contacts in the clan, I'll manage something to help !

- But... without a chief, who's gonna be the head of the clan ? Wouldn't it be better if it disappeared ?

- Hmm... Except if they change their activities ! Don't worry, we'll take it from here !" exclaimed Yae.

"- Thanks so much, Ei, Yae..."

The two women smiled at him.

"- Now, you should take Kazuha with you, and go to your flat in the city ! You got one, right ? You should be safe there, in case we lose control of the clan !

- Okay, I'll do that, thank you !"

°°°

Scaramouche got to the bedroom Kazuha was in. He was not sleeping, just laying on the bed, his eyes staring at the void.

"- Hey..."

Kazuha got out of his trance when he heard Scaramouche's voice. He sat up, but couldn't manage to look at him.

He let out a feeble "Hey".

Kazuha looked like he wanted to talk to Scaramouche, but he couldn't bring himself to say anything. He then sighed.

"- ...I'm sorry..." Were the only words he was able to let out.

Scaramouche sighed and sat next to him. He didn't want Kazuha to feel bad for what just happened.

"-... We need to talk. But not here. Come with me to the city center, I have a flat there where we will be safer than here.

- Oh, but-

- Just know one thing : I'm not mad at you for what you did.

- But-

- I said not here ! Let's go !"

Scaramouche got up and held out his hand to Kazuha. The young man took it and got up, but still not looking at him.

°°°

Kazuha and Scaramouche thanked Ei and Yae again for their help as they were about to leave.

Before he closed the door, Scaramouche allowed himself to look back one last time at his father's body. It was completely lifeless.

The young man shook his head. He needed to leave this behind him now and learn how to live in a new way, by himself.

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Hey ! Sorry for the pretty short chapter, but I wanted to end this part of the story here, thought it's not completely finished, we will probably have a lot of talking and explanations in the next chapter !

So, I don't like stories that end with the main characters dying so I didn't do it here, sorry for the little fright ! This story is near the end, but there are still a few chapters coming soon !

I hope you still enjoy reading this story as much as I like to write it ! See you soon and take care everybody <3 !

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Published on : November 11th 2022

Words : 783