Ch1: Knees

I had my trunks on and a towel and volleyball in hand. I was ready for the first hot day of summer.

The only thing that would make this day better would be if it were the start of summer vacation—and if there were free hot dogs at the pier. And free ice-cream. And cookies. God I was hungry. M'gann's cookies better be done baking. It's been far too long since I'd last eaten.

I could smell the baking from across the cave. The sweet aroma of cinnamon and banana was making my mouth water like Pavlov's dogs. I dashed to the kitchen to check on the homemade deliciousness.

M'gann was happily spooning batter into a cupcake tray. She's making cupcakes too?! Today was a great day. The calm look on M'gann's face was in stark contrast with the complete bombshell of a kitchen. The cabinets looked as if they were raided (by me) and metal bowls and spoons were scattered across the kitchen island.

"How'd you get yourself covered head to toe in flower?" I asked.

"Oh... well... I was measuring the flower and Wolf got a little too excited and sort of knocked me over."

"I see... so are the cookies done?"

"Wally, the cookies are for the school bake sale this week. And so are the cupcakes."

Today was a terrible day.

"But can't I just have one?" I pleaded.

"You can have one when they're ready. But only one."

"One tray?"

"One cookie!"

Conner entered the room, carrying with him three large plastic containers—presumably for all the sweet deliciousness that were heartlessly ripped away from me.

"What's with the scrunched up face, Wally?"

"M'gann's not sharing her beautiful creations with me."

"You can buy some tomorrow and support the local children's hospital," Conner suggested.

"Can I buy some now?"

"They're not even ready, I just put them in the oven," M'gann replied. "Besides, I told Ms. Ogilvie that I'd bring in forty cookies. And knowing how much you eat, I'd have to make another forty."

"Finnnnnne," I whined. I dashed to the fridge and pulled out three pieces of pizza and stacked them. "So, anyone wanna go to the beach right now?" I asked, faced stuffed with ham and pinnacle pizza. Yes, ham and pineapple. Sue me.

"Wally," Conner sighed, placing the containers beside the sink, "M'gann's still making the baked goods, and I'm helping her with that. Maybe go see if the others are free."

"Okay, but when I get back, I expect a cookie and a cupcake with my name on it."

I dashed to Dick's room. I knocked. No answer. Maybe he's training. I dashed to the gymnasium, then to the sparring room. Bingo.

Dick was in the ring with Artemis. Great. I'm sure she was glad to see me, he thought ever so sarcastically. I mean, Artemis had a right to feel angry, to feel upset—to feel whatever feeling she's feeling. I just wished I never needed to do what I did in the first place.

"Hey, Rob," I waved, "Hey, Artemis."

Artemis looked at me as if I had vomit all over my shirt. It had been three weeks and the only thing that changed was that her anger had turned into a quiet sadness. I heard her quietly say to Dick that she's going to get some fresh air. Artemis swiftly made her way to the door then disappeared.

"Come here to get your butt kicked?" Dick said, unwrapping the tape on his right hand.

The Boy Wonder was drenched in sweat. The contours of his chest were softly visible through his white, sleeveless shirt, his arms glistening under the artificial light. My mind wondered to his gymnastics training. Dick was most impressive when manoeuvring on the pommel horse. I could watch him practice all day—"Hey, Wally? You hear me?"

"Huh, what?"

"Never mind." The Boy Wonder looked me up and down. "Is today the day?"

"Yep! I've checked the weather forecast three times in the past hour. The sun's gonna be out all day—and it's hot hot."

"I'll get my things. Are M'gann and Conner coming?"

"They're busy baking cookies and cupcakes. And sadly, not for us. So bring some cash cause' we're gonna get something at the pier."

"Okay, sounds good. I'll meet you by Tango in 15 minutes."

* * *

I waited idly by the door. It would've been great if Kaldur was here. Water sports are always more fun when waves can come crashing down from nowhere. I think he gets back from Atlantis next weekend.

The good thing about it just being me and Dick though is that we get to talk about whatever's on our mind. Not that Kaldur wasn't trustworthy or anything, it's just that when it comes to talking about feelings, he gets a bit too "tactical" and serious.

Out of nowhere I hear a voice directly in my ear, You ready, KF?

I jumped back, my heart pounding. Robin, the Boy Wonder-ful-at-Being-a-Pain, was dangling from the ceiling upside down.

"Stop doing that!"

"Stop doing what?" The deviant said innocently.

"Sneaking up on me!"

"I wasn't sneaking up on you."

"You literally repelled from the ceiling and spoke directly in my ear. How is that not sneaking up on me?"

Dick turned right side up and detached his grappling gun from the ceiling, his face bright red from the blood rushing to his head. "I like to make an entrance."

I rolled my eyes in exasperation. Dick gave a cheeky grin.

Why is it when he smiles my knees go weak? I've recently been wanting to spend more and more time with Dick Grayson. I mean, he's my best friend and we've grown close, so why wouldn't I?

But I've been getting these other thoughts. I've tried to ignore them, to push them deep down in hopes that they'd never reach the surface. But they keep coming back. Thoughts of... I can't say. He's my friend. That warm feeling will pass. It must pass.

"Let's get outta here," the Boy Wonder said, grabbing my hand.

I fumbled forward. Damn knees.

__

Author:

Wally's weak knees for Dick Grayson... he better be careful not to fall head over heals or something...

Q: What's your favourite baked good? To eat or to make ✧˖°