Ch22: Centrepiece

It was the beginning of the end.

I was coughing profusely. Small chunks of cheese and chip projected onto the table, eyes swelling with tears, face turning red, a heavy thumping hand against my back, but it was proving to be futile.

My vision was going black around the edges. I stood up. I tried facing away from the table, not wanting to release any more mushy projectiles onto the table. But before I could turn away, Dick stood behind and wrapped his arms below my rib cage and began giving me the Heimlich manoeuvre. Not exactly the roles I've imagined myself and the Boy Wonder in—get your head out of the gutter, Wally! You're dying. Focus!

As I was verging on passing out the chunk of nachos finally dislodged, landing on the table with an audible splat. It became the disgusting centrepiece of the table.

I gasped for that sweet, sweet—but actually tasteless—air.

I felt relieved, but also disgusting. And embarrassed. And overall mortified. I didn't think I could get more mortified, but Bruce proved me wrong when he decided to make a joke, "So that's what you think of her?"

Somebody kill me now.

I didn't realise Dick had told Bruce about Rose, and that I'd be asked about her by Bruce at dinner. I took another moment to collect myself. I managed to successfully collect every part (every part except my dignity).

"I—uh—well, she's...uh..."

"Wally's only met her once," Dick jumped in, trying to buy me more time. My embarrassed state must have been palpable.

"I know," Bruce said, "I'm just curious what Wally has to say. After all, his judge of character is inversely proportional to his ability to eat nachos."

Oh god. I was still dying from embarrassment, and here's Bruce, sitting all nonchalantly with his sassy back-handed compliment. He was enjoying my near-death experience a little too much. I gave a timid smile to acknowledge his joke. Bruce chuckled to himself.

"Yeah..." I said, getting back to normal, "she was very friendly, seemed like someone grounded. She was rather forward, asking Dick out..."

"Ahhhhhh," Bruce said, leaning back in his chair, "reminds me of Selina, very forward. Always gets what she wants, except for the diamonds of course."

Outside of burgling, I'm guessing the only other thing for Catwoman to go after was Batman. I don't think their relationship was toxic or anything, but it was questionable...

"Well," Alfred said, "judging by what you've told us about your date last week, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of her."

Wait, what? FFFFFF. It couldn't have gone that well, could it? Did Dick only describe that it went well, or that he also really liked her? Why didn't he tell me about the date? Wait. He tried. But all I did was push to know if he liked her. Push, push, push. I could've figure out if he liked her based on how he talked about her—

"Yeah," Dick said hesitantly, "we'll see, I guess..."

"No need to be so modest," Alfred said.

"I know," Dick replied.

I wondered whether that meant he doesn't like her in that way, or if it's he thinks Rose doesn't like him in that way. And if it's the second, then onto other girls. But if it's the first, then could it mean... maybe.

"So, Wally," Bruce said, again in a way where he's about to drop another bomb, "have you managed to mend things with Artemis?"

And there it is. Luckily this time I didn't have nachos in my mouth. First cheesy near-death experience, shame on the nachos. Second cheesy near-death experience, shame on me.

"Well," I said, sitting up in my seat, "—no. No, I haven't."

"There's going to be a mission coming up, Wally, a big one," Bruce said in a very serious tone. "The team needs to be laser-focused and working effortlessly. I can't allow this no-talking business to continue."

"Yes, sir."

"Look, Wally," Bruce said, his tone lighter, "I know break-ups are tough, I know both you and Artemis need time to get used to it. But there comes a point where it's no longer about needing space and healing. It becomes about avoidance. It becomes about fear. What is it that you fear, Wally?"

It's not everyday that Batman asks you what you fear. I wasn't ready for it.

I know what it was I feared. It was no longer my feelings, it was no longer my love for the Boy Wonder. It was what that love would mean to Dick. And so, what I feared was rejection. I feared that I'd end our friendship for good. Nothing scared me more than not having him in my life. He cared about me like no one else has.

"If it's something he fears," Dick jumped in again, "I don't think he's gonna lay it out now. Besides maybe he just doesn't know what to say to Artemis."

Dick put his hand on my knee in support. I wanted to hold his hand. I loved him too much for my own good.

I shifted my knee towards him, hoping to make it a little less obvious to Bruce. He was not one for physical affection, and I have no clue how he'd feel about me and Dick if we were together. Bruce is too cryptic.

I wondered whether his lack of physical affection was part of the reason Dick liked being close to me. Without any clear intimate affection, the closeness we share may be nothing more than platonic to him. If he loves me, he loves me as a friend, while my heart aches for his entire being.

"Whatever it is," Bruce said firmly, "you're going to have to talk to Artemis. And soon."

I took in a deep breath. "I will."

__

Author:

So much going on, my goodness! Wally's almost death-by-nacho, Dick's ambiguous response, Bruce's push for Wally to speak with Artemis, and a big mission coming up...

I haven't planned specific details of the mission yet, but it'll be an adventure :)