Ch17: Steam

Central City wasn't too far from Happy Harbor. Well, not far for me anyway. Once running in a straight line on the highway in dry conditions, things go even quicker. I managed to get home on time.

Dad was sitting in the living room watching TV. I could smell rosemary and garlic from the kitchen. Probably made pasta. I'd normally be dying for leftovers, though I'd seemed to have lost my appetite, my mind was elsewhere. Mom entered the room with two cups of tea and put one down beside my dad before curling up beside him.

"How was your weekend, son?" Dad asked.

"It was good, went to the pier and beach this afternoon with Robin."

"Did the rest of the team not want to go?"

"M'gann and Conner were baking cookies, Kaldur's still in Atlantis. Artemis was busy too."

"How is Artemis?" Mom asked, "We haven't seen her in ages. You should invite her over for dinner sometime."

"Oh, she's been busy with school and stuff..."

The room was silent except for the TV in the background. There was a commercial for some new nacho hot-pepper sandwich. Looks good. Maybe tomorrow I can go with Di—

"Is everything okay between you two?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, she's just a bit busy with things," I said, not knowing how to come up with a more elaborate lie.

"Okay, well when she has time, have her over would you? She's a lovely girl," (I know) "and she's definitely a keeper," (I know) "right, hun'?"

"Artemis is a good fit, I can tell," Dad said with the confidence of a parent unable to consider the fact that things could be different.

"Uhuh, well I'm gonna head to bed... tired... good night..."

"Night, son," Dad said.

"Oh, and Wally," Mom added, "I made some almond white-chocolate chip cookies today. Take some to Happy Harbor after school for your friends."

"Thanks, Mom."

I dragged my feet up the stairs. I dumped my bag in my room, then sat at the edge of my bed. I removed my custom running boots and tossed my goggles onto the floor. After spending the evening with Dick, I didn't feel like putting on my super-suit. My clothes were damp from the run. I grabbed a towel and headed to the bathroom. I waited for the shower to heat up before slipping in behind the curtain.

The hot water tingled my skin. My mind began to wander. Thoughts about Artemis, about the break up, about the look on her face I wished to never see again. The hurt, the confusion, the anger. It would be one thing if things weren't going well and that we weren't meant to be together. But when there's no seemingly obvious reason for her and all she knows is that I simply "feel differently" about the relationship, how else could she take it other than to illogically blame herself, to think that I couldn't love her because of her?

I wanted to scream to her that's not true! But if I did, then what? I'd have to tell her the truth? Hell, I'm not even ready for it. The feeling is there, but I tell myself that nothing's come from the feeling yet, no definitive actions to confirm the thing that deep down I fear could be true, that maybe this wasn't a phase.

But even if nothing's come from it yet, no kiss or any other clear affection, I knew why I broke up with Artemis. I couldn't string her along knowing that it would only be more painful to end later on, because it would inevitably end. I mourned the relationship weeks before I could tell her. And now, I needed to wait for her to do the same.

And what of Dick? He was going out with a girl this upcoming Friday. Why the hell do I have it in my head that I could be with him? Yeah, he asked me to lie beside him, but he had said earlier he had been feeling lonely, and he had said he wanted to be close to someone. Someone. Not a boy, and not me specifically. I was a placeholder, right? Stop tricking yourself into thinking it is anything but that.

All I wanted to do was to hold him, to have stayed the night in his arms. Perhaps that would only make things more difficult for me later on. I needed to let these feelings slip through my hands like water, or disappear like steam.

__

Author:

The first day in the story is finally over!

And Wally is left feeling disheartened...

I have some vague plans ahead. There's still Dick's date with Rose, Wally having dinner at Wayne Manor, and the first kiss that m̶a̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ will happen.

If you've voted on all the chapters and made a few comments already, thank you!! I appreciate your quiet encouragement with the votes and your comments I've read so far :)

Q: What's a tv show, movie, song, or book that you return to when you want something cozy/feel-good?