Ch15: Cookies

Back in the Boy Wonder's room, Dick left the ceiling lights off and turned on the floor lamp by the couch. It was one of those paper lantern lamps that softly glowed, leaving a warm light on the surface of the room and on the boy in front of me.

"What do you wanna do?" Dick asked after collapsing onto the couch.

"It's about 7:15 now, so we could chat a bit then pick out a movie?"

Dick sat up on the couch. "What do you wanna talk about?"

I sat down on the couch on the opposite end, curling my legs up and facing Dick.

The thing I wanted to talk about was whether my best friend, underneath the jokes and intimate moments which were kept so brief so as to not risk suggesting a deeper meaning, felt the same way—that he wanted to be close without having the need to joke around, to linger in those intimate moments, allowing them to bring into being a love beyond friendship.

But what if they were only jokes and platonic touch? What if sharing these feelings is what brings the jokes, the touch, the friendship as I know it now, to an end? The fear of losing him as a friend was greater than my desire for loving him as something more.

"Wally?"

"What? Yeah, umm..." My mind had wandered off again. "What about your date with Rose on Friday?"

"Oh... okay, sure."

"Any ideas about where you might go?"

Dick unbent his legs and nestled his feet near my own. "Maybe go to Marley's Diner?"

"In the evening? Maybe if you were going for lunch."

"Giovanni's?"

"Too fancy for a first date."

"The Black Sheep?"

"Too loud."

Dick lightly kicked my foot. "Are there no options in your mind that are acceptable? Shall I just not go then?"

Yes. Instead, I replied, "How about rather than the main thing being food, you do an activity?"

"Like?"

"Mini-golf, bowling, climbing gym..." You know, all the places we go when we have the night off...

"Climbing gym sounds fun. I'll suggest all three to Rose and see if she has any preferences."

"Great," I said with excitement, rather than with disappointment.

* * *

After another fifteen minutes or so of talking about whatever came to mind, the conversation shifted to finding a movie. But first snacks.

"Anything you want me to grab in the kitchen?" I asked.

"Did you forget? M'gann made cookies and cupcakes!"

"Not for the likes of us. Like she made a couple."

"I know."

"I just didn't want you to think I ate them all when I only brought back a few cookies..."

"Fair enough assessment."

"Be right back." I dashed to the kitchen. M'gann was in the common area where the projector was, about to start a movie with Conner. M'gann caught me staring at her.

You here for the cookies, I assume? M'gann said through her telepathy.

You read my mind? I replied.

I didn't need to read your mind, it was obvious.

I see.

And besides, I don't "read" people's minds, we converse with full awareness. There are boundaries, you know.

M'gann rolled her eyes. Did you bring cash? The funds are for the children's hospital, remember?

One sec. I dashed to my room and back. So how many can I get?

Conner's voice jumped in. M'gann, I don't need to be part of this link...

Sorry, baby...

M'GANN, Conner yelled in our heads. No forms of endearment in front of Wally!

Hahahahahahaha, I telepathically laughed, this is fun, isn't it, babbbyy?

I'll kill you, Wally.

After Conner's death-glare, M'gann unlinked him from our conversation.

So, she said, reigning me back in, Conner and I ended up making an extra batch of cookies for you, and you can take two cupcakes.

Awwww, you shouldn't haveeee...

If we didn't, you would've felt heartbroken.

Not true!

Pleeeaaasee... if there's one thing you care about, it's food.

It's Dick.

What?

"Nothing!" I yelled, unlinking from M'gann. This telepathy stuff is dangerous...

"I mean," I continued, attempting to salvage my slip, "Dick's waiting on me to get some snacks."

M'gann linked us again, maybe thinking I unlinked by accident.

Okayyyyyyy? She said, trying to follow along.

I've got thirty bucks, will that cover it?

Yeah that's good.

Though why even have the bake sale? Just get billionaire Bruce Wayne to buy everything.

Every small action as a community really adds up over time, Wally. And we don't know Bruce in our civilian lives. Annnnd he already runs a gala for them every year to raise money.

Ah, fair enough. Anyway, I better get going. Dick's waiting. Where are the cookies?

They're on that plate there. Just grab two cupcakes from the box beside.

Thanks for the desserts, Meg.

You're welcome, Wally. I hope you like them.

So long as you made them and not Conner by himself, I know they'll be great!

__

Author:

Conner getting flustered...

Q: What would you order at a fancy ice-cream sundae place? You know, where they have all the toppings like gummy bears, sprinkles, sauces, etc.