Ch8: Food

While the secret beach near Mount Justice was my favourite hideaway spot, there was nothing that I loved more than the pier and all of its wondrous food stands (except for a particular red bird, of course).

There were stands for hot dogs, burgers, pizza, crepes—savoury and sweet, waffles, pastries, cookies, ice-cream—thirty five different flavours and fifteen different toppings, popcorn, cotton candy, and more. Oh! And a whole stand dedicated to fries—my particular favourite being poutine: salted fries with brown gravy and cheese curds. I had first experienced this Quebec delicacy at a grubby food stand in Montreal two years ago. That particular poutine wasn't the best, but I knew there was something special about it.

Food stands are better than any restaurant I've been to. First of all, they're outdoors—I'm typically moving about. Second, they're quick—I can only sit patiently at a restaurant if I've already eaten; and in case I got hungry while waiting, Artemis always had snacks. And finally, quantity—in a restaurant, a singular cube of tofu on a white plate with a drizzle of some mysterious red sauce is considered a meal; it is also considered my form of hell. A food stand was a safe bet.

"So, Wally, where to first? Burgers?"

"I'm feeling fancy today, how about a savoury crepe?"

"Sounds good to me."

Dick went for the salmon and cream cheese crepe with a drizzle of maple syrup. I went for the same, but also got the bacon one. And the sweet potato one.

The pier was rather busy but we managed to find a table. Dick pulled out two sets of metal cutlery from his bag and handed me a set. Single-use items that couldn't be composted like plastic cutlery were a pet peeve of his.

As I began devouring my first crepe, a bright light kept waving in front of my eyes. To nobody's surprise, Dick was reflecting the sun's light off his knife.

"Having fun?" I asked sarcastically, resting my chin on my hand.

"Yep."

In a flash I snatched the boy's utensils out of his hands.

"No fair!"

"I thought you loved justice?" I asked, waving the utensils in a small circle with my wrist.

"When it comes to you," he said, snatching the utensils back, "I can't resist the dark side."

I grabbed my enemy's plate out from under him. "I guess neither can I."
Dick smirked. "I'm too hungry to let you have my food this time, Wally," he said ominously.

"Whatcha gonna do about it, huh?"

"Nothing...for now. But know that if I have to get up and order another one, you'll be paying for it. Not now in money, but later in blood."

What Robin could do isn't what scares me. It's the anticipation, the waiting, the not knowing when he'll strike. It's the mind-games that can make a boy go mad.

"You truly have a way with words, my little Machiavellian," I said, sliding his plate back. Dick smiled then readily looked down at his plate.

"Hey! A piece is missing!"

"What? Noooooooo, it can't be," I said, feigning surprise.

I gave a wink. Dick laughed.

* * *

"So... what do you think about this Rose girl?" I asked, hoping that his response would be one I'd like. Of course it wasn't.

"She's very beautiful and she seems to have a very upbeat attitude. I like that. And she does gymnastics!"

Note to self: start stretching. Also, use super-speed to take Rose far, far away. I wasn't jealous.

"Yeah, but civilians can make good friends since. Relationships are a bit more intimate, you couldn't hide that you're Robin."

"You don't want me to go out with Rose?"

"No, I'm just saying that maybe she'd be better as a friend."

Dick looked at me as if trying to read my face for any subtle cues. The only way for me to combat this is by zoning out and thinking about my favourite TV show, Wipeout. Thinking about people falling to their demise helped me in the moment to not do the same.

"That would leave me with next to no options," Dick finally said, "If not Rose, then who?"

Me, obviously. Why can't I not think about him in this way? We make a great team fighting crime, and our friendship is so strong, he's the only person I feel I could share everything with. Everything except this. A partner in (fighting) crime and a friendship as strong as the man of steel? Why couldn't I be happy with that?

I needed to keep this feeling from surfacing. Ever. But every time I look at him I can't help but want to be closer and hope he feels the same.

"I don't know who," I replied, looking anywhere but at the boy in front of me. "Maybe just be single for a while."

"I have been single for a while. And I've been feeling a bit lonely."

I felt lonely in a relationship. "Lonely?"

"Yeah," Dick said. He leaned back into his chair. "Seeing Conner and M'gann together and you and Artemis—I don't know... it's something I feel that I want, that I maybe need."

"You can be in a relationship and still feel lonely, you know."

"Was that how you felt with Artemis?" Dick's voice was soft and unassuming. When it came to

"real" stuff, he was always kind.

"Maybe," I said. I waited for a reply but Dick only let my single-word response linger in the air.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Well," Dick said, leaning forward, "I guess we can be lonely, together."

He smiled, making me forget my troubled feelings for a moment. Then reality seeped back in.

"For now," I replied, "but come Friday, you won't be single."

"We'll see... maybe you're right about the whole dating a civilian thing... or maybe she could join the team and it would no longer be a problem!"

My heart jumped out of my chest. "Umm no."

"Just no?"

"Yep, just no. Vetoed. Not happening."

"What? You don't like the sound of Robin and Rose?"

"Exactly. Hideous."

"She can have the spare room next to M'gann's."

"The cave's too crowded."

"We'll make an extension."

"To the cave?"

"Yeah, I'll get some dynamite."

"You'll blow yourself up."

"Worth it."

Dick's suggestion of a new member was of course a joke. But I couldn't help but wonder if part of him was serious—no I don't think so. Just because Rose is athletic doesn't mean she can fight crime, or even wants to. Batman certainly wouldn't approve. So would the rest of the team. Each one of us were a protégé to a hero and had exceptional abilities or circumstances that made us right for the work we do. Ugh. Why was I trying to rationalize this offhand joke? Dick was definitely joking. He could have a relationship with her while keeping Robin a secret if he really wanted.

"So," Dick said, "Where to next? Milkshakes?"

"Milkshakes."