Ch2: Tango

Mount Justice is a popular hiking spot among the locals. This means that all entry points to the cave are camouflaged and away from the public trails. Tango is Dick's favourite entry and exit point.

Tango is anything but a dance. At least for me anyway. Located on the north side of the mountain, a thousand feet above see level, this perilous exit and entry point is what we use for repel and climbing training.

No matter how many times I insist on taking the easy path, no matter how dramatic I feign my "injuries" to be, good old bird boy roles off my complaints like a duck's feathers to water.

What I hate about Dick Grayson is also what I love. His actions are guided by a higher goal. Dick never makes decisions based on expedience. The boy functions on principles. To him, there is no decision to be made about which exit out of Mount Justice to take. The fundamental principle and desire for mastery has already made that decision for him.

Dick Grayson embodies the principle that consistent, short-term discomfort is often what leads to long-term improvement. The path of least resistance may get you somewhere quicker—but that "somewhere," won't be where you want to end up.

However, as the resident speedster, I naturally look for short-cuts. The best way to overcome an obstacle is to go around it, not through it. Tactical avoidance—which does work some of the time to my advantage, but not all the time. And perhaps because my superpower at baseline was already exceptional, my desire for mastery was left wanting.

Dick was here because he has worked harder and more consistently than anybody else. A quality that only Batman could fully nurture. After all, he was a man amongst gods.

I know that when I avoid Tango, it's because I've yet to develop the courage to face obstacles head-on. I know that sometimes the only way to overcome an obstacle or a fear is to go through it, even if you hate doing so in the process. And I know that being around the Boy Wonder transforms my knowing into doing. What I love about Dick Grayson is that he pushes me to become a better person, a better hero.

__

Q: What show or film do you like where one focus is the main character training and getting stronger?