Ch10: Pinned

Once the next wave passed I began to kick, gradually getting up to speed. My legs started to warm up from kicking and we made our way around the rocks. The waves were strong, but we managed to get to the beach without a hitch.

Dick hopped down from the bags. He unbuckled them but carried both to land. I followed slowly behind.

"Thanks for carrying my bag."

"It's the least I could do, considering I got a free pass on the KF Express."

"Who said it was free?!" I said in fake outrage. "Where are my snacks?!"

"I decided to keep them for myself and risk being taken out to sea."

"So be it."

I grabbed Dick by the wrists, trying to pull him towards the ocean. He managed to grab my wrists, turn his body and break free. Dick smirked. He got into a low stance, ready for a second attempt. I charged at him and tried to push him over while sweeping his leg. Dick managed to avert the leg sweep, tactfully moving to the side and using my forward momentum to flip me over.

As I laid there on my back, air knocked out of my lungs, Dick entered my field of vision from above. "I guess I won't be taken out to sea then... and I'll be eating all of your sna—" I grabbed Dick's ankle and yanked as hard as I could, knocking him to the ground. I quickly crawled on top and pinned his hands over his head.

"Nobody eats my snacks except for me."

"Somebody's gotta try," Dick said, trying to wriggle out from under my weight, "you're too heavy."

"Maybe you're just not strong enough," I said, leaning in.

Dick lifted his hips, trying to create space to manoeuvre out, with little success. Dick was breathing hard. His chest was speckled with sand and beads of water from my wet hair.

I wondered whether he was actually trying to escape or only pretending. Each one of his thrashes was almost immediately defeated upon meeting any resistance. Dick laid there for a moment. He looked up at me as if searching for the answer to a question that was not asked, but perhaps felt. I wanted to tell him, to bring my lips to his. But I couldn't.

How long could I remain holding him before it became awkward for either of us? As much as I tried to repress the thought, all I could think about was kissing him. Speedsters are impulsive, and so it took every ounce of restraint not to answer that question in his eyes.

"Okay, fine." Dick finally said. "I'll give you the barbecue chips and chocolate-covered pretzels."

"Annnnnd?"

"What do you mean 'and'?"

"I dunno."

"Well then get off me you goofball!"

"What? You done being squashed by pure muscle?"

"Ha! I think it's your ego that's really heavy."

"I am the most humblest humble person ever," I said, dismounting the squashed bird. Dick sat up and shook his head in disagreement with my declared level of humility. He began brushing the sand off his shoulders, his arms, his chest.

"Shall I get the snacks, Your Humbleness?"

"You may."

Dick rummaged through the rucksacks and tossed me a bag of chips. I ate it almost as fast as I could run, then ate the chocolate-covered pretzels with the same intensity. Dick pulled out our towels and laid them flat on the hot sand. I lied on my stomach and covered my face with my t-shirt to avoid the glare from the sun. The sun felt so cozy I could doze off in the warmth.

__

Author:

. . . well then...

Side-note, first 10 chapters are up!! Thanks for reading!

Next chapter will be shared on Friday :)