Ch16: Moonrise

I dashed back to Dick's room with the goods in hand.

Dick was curled up in a blanket, browsing through one of the many streaming services. "There's so many options on here... I feel like I'm spending half the night just trying to find something good to watch."

"What mood are you in?" I asked.

"I want something cozy."

"Wes Anderson?"

"Which one?"

"What about Moonrise Kingdom or Grand Budapest Hotel?"

"I haven't seen Moonrise."

"I think you'll like it."

"According to M'gann, it'll need to have explosions in order for us to like it. Are there any by chance?"

"I don't think so, I haven't seen this movie in ages." I put the plate of desserts on the coffee table and sat on the other side of the couch. "I think lightning strikes at some point, but that's as explosion-y as it gets."

"Okay, let's watch this non-explosion-y movie."

Dick searched for it, but of course the streaming service we were on didn't have this one movie.

We ended up renting the movie online rather than try the other streaming platforms. We used the "company" credit card provided by a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises. I fight crime for the sake of justice... but it was also nice to have the financial support of Batman for movies and snacks.

Dick hit play. I curled up on the other corner of the couch with my own blanket and settled in. I noticed out the corner of my eye Dick looking at me. He was about to say something but didn't. A moment later, he spoke.

"Wally?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Do you..." he trailed off. He remained silent. I paused the movie, something's on his mind.

"Do I what?"

"Never mind."

"What is it?" I pushed.

Dick sighed. He was silent a moment longer. "Do you wanna lie over here?"

My heart fluttered. "Umm—"

"—I mean it's fine if you're comfortable there..." Dick said, trying to backtrack.

"No—I mean sure."

I started shifting towards him. Dick looked rather sheepish, embarrassed to have asked what he wanted, though he really shouldn't have been. If only I could have been as brave to say that was what I wanted too. Dick felt the need to explain himself.

"I just wanna be... to be close to someone... I haven't gotten to be close to anyone in a while, you know?"

"Okay," I said softly.

Dick lifted his blanket. I moved to the open spot in front. He wrapped the blanket around us. I could feel the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest. He wrapped his arm around me. I nestled into the curve of his body. I felt his nose and lips briefly on the crown of my head and then his cheek rested.

"Is this okay?" he asked.

"Yeah," I whispered back.

Dick gave my arm a squeeze. "Thanks, Wally."

* * *

I passed a cupcake and a few cookies to Dick throughout the movie. I had the rest, of course.

Being in that dark room, held by my best friend, my thoughts no longer raced, and my subconscious need to move faded. I felt at peace.

When the movie was over all I wanted to do was to stay there, to stay in his arms. I turned in towards his chest, resting my head under his chin. He smelled of something sweet. I couldn't figure out what it could be. Vanilla? It was only 10 o'clock, yet we were both sleepy. Must have been from being in the sun all day.

"Did you like the movie?" I asked into his chest.

"Yeah, the pastel colours and sets were beautiful. The story was cute. Definitely cozy."

"I'm glad you liked it."

There was a long pause. Dick let out a slow exhale. "Do you have to go, Wally?"

"Yeah, it's getting late," I said, turning onto my back.

"You sure?"

"If I'm not home in ten minutes, I'll get in trouble."

"I hate Sundays."

"You'll see me tomorrow after school," I said, trying to ease his mind.

"You ever ask if you could stay Sunday nights at the cave?"

"I think my parents want some normalcy for me by living in a house and leaving for school on a bus, rather than living in a mountain and leaving for school on an alien spaceship."

"M'gann's ride is better than the bus," Dick mumbled.

"I knowww... and trust me, I'd rather take the ship or run than take the bus. But it's all a part of normal activities."

"Okay, finneee, you can abandon me."

"A bit melodramatic, don't you think?"

"Maybe just a bit."

I stayed lying there with his arm resting on my chest for another minute or so. Dick's embrace felt as secure as I'd ever been. I turned in towards his chest once more. I didn't want to leave, but I couldn't stay.

"Good night, Dick."

"Good night, Wally."

__

Author:

The FEELINGS going on right now...