Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Maura's pov

When Jane came by after I called her she probably had no idea what was going to happen, but I knew and I was eager to tell her the big news.

"I have great news," I announced enthusiastically because I was very happy to share the news with Jane. My plan worked like a charm and I couldn't wait to tell Jane about it because she didn't suspect anything and she could never guess, even if she tried, what I was about to tell her. "Would you like to guess?" I suggested.

"I thought you hate it when I am guessing, Maura."

"Guess away," I encouraged her. I didn't think she would ever guess the news I was about to share with her, but I liked to please Jane because I knew how much she liked the guessing game.

"But you just hate it when I do that," she pointed out, giving me a weird look.

"Yeah, but I thought you'd enjoy it," I retorted, waiting for her to take a guess.

"I am not in a mood for the guessing game now, Maura, so just tell me the great news." She urged me, seeming irritated that I haven't told her yet; by the fact that I was stalling which was on purpose. But when she hears the news, she would change her attitude, I was sure of that.

"You've won a scholarship so you're going to Boston Cambridge University!" I declared proudly with a bright smile on my face because I simply couldn't wait to see her reaction.

"What?"

"We are both going to Boston Cambridge University!" I repeated excitedly, but she still couldn't even process what I was saying to her because she looked very confused and not pleased at all by my words.

"B-but how?"

"My mom pulled a few strings so they gave you a scholarship. You can study in Boston Cambridge University with this scholarship. It's all settled now and you don't have to worry about anything." I explained nervously to Jane, waiting for her happy reaction, supposing she would be thrilled by the great news when she finally assimilates them. Although, I have got to admit she still didn't look thrilled when I looked at her.

"And why would you do that?"

"For you... And me," I added. "So we can both study there. Isn't it obvious!?"

I couldn't get what she meant with her question. Wasn't she happy about it? I thought by now she'd be jumping with joy or at least crack a smile, but she wasn't doing anything of that sort.

"But I don't want it, Maura. Don't you know that?" She seemed so gloomy, talking sternly with me like I have done something wrong.

"What?" I didn't except to hear that. Jane was the one who applied there, saying that she wanted to study in Cambridge like me. The big problem was that she couldn't afford it and I solved it so I was shocked when Jane didn't seem to like the news.

"I want to earn my scholarship fair and square and not get it on a silver platter thanks to your mom. You should know better than that. You know how much I hate nepotism. Don't you?"

"Yeah, but I thought-"

"You thought what? I just don't understand... How could you even think about doing such a thing?! How did it occur to you?"

She looked so mad at me at that moment. I just wanted to make her happy, but I ended up making things even worse. She wasn't pleased at all, to put it mildly. Jane was simply furious. I thought she would see the positive side – that we would both go to Cambridge, and that we wouldn't have to part our ways. Jane had to know I did it all for her, she probably realized the reason why. Wasn't it obvious why I did that?! Was she so blind to see the truth which was right in front of her eyes? It was so infuriating.

"Why would you do that? I don't get it..." Jane was still murmuring to herself, mulling that thought, frustrated at me as I have wronged her in some way. She wasn't even asking me this time, she was wondering like I wasn't even there. "I just can't believe it..." Jane put her head in her hands, muttering the words under her breath. She seemed so disappointed by the news and she was nervously fiddling with her hair, combing it with her fingers. I felt so guilty because of her reaction. I simply didn't know what to do or say to her. I was simply stupefied.

Then Jane just got up from the couch and opened the door, ready to leave without saying anything else. I couldn't believe she would just walk away without saying anything to me. She was wondering why I did that as though she couldn't even take a guess. Wasn't it painfully obvious?! Should I yell it to her face so she could know the reason why? What was I supposed to do?! Let her go or stop her by saying the truth?

"Because I love you."

The words slipped out of my mouth so quickly that I couldn't take them back or make them sound differently. I confessed to Jane at the exact same moment when she closed the door behind her. I didn't even know if I said it loud enough for Jane to hear me. I expected some reaction from her, but Jane just left and didn't look back. I was so confused. I had no idea if she heard my confession or not. I wanted to follow her and say it again, make sure she heard me properly, but I stopped myself, hesitating.

I was dying to know the truth, I wanted to be a hundred percent sure that Jane simply hasn't heard me. But Jane didn't come back so I didn't know what to think. The best option was that she just hadn't heard my love confession and that was the reason she left so quickly without saying a word. I didn't say it very loud and Jane was just leaving at the exact same time. She must have not heard me. That had to be the reason why she left so quickly the moment I told her. The worst-case scenario was that Jane heard me, no matter how low I said the words. But that was very bad scenario because it would mean that she didn't come back on purpose.

Jane left me wondering about it and I had no idea what to do. I desperately wanted to know the truth but I knew I would never dare to ask her. What if she heard my confession and that's why she left? Then I would be completely devastated to hear it, if she told me the truth in my face. Maybe she was sparing my feelings by leaving without saying a word. I didn't know for sure, but I was too scared to ask.