Stuck Together (Nature Wives)

Series: Empires S1

Plot: Katherine goes to the Nether with Shrub to pick up some ingredients when the two get cornered and have to block themselves in from a horde of Wither skeletons...

For context, the AU I'm using for this oneshot is set in a world where Xornoth is more peaceful and not causing any trouble with the corruption, leaving the empires to just do their thing and live peacefully for the most part

(Side note: I haven't finished watching Katherine's POV on Empires yet, forgive me if I make any mistakes about her character)

"Ok, so we need some nether wart, blaze rods, and... what was the last thing you said?" Shrub asked, looking up at her flowery ally.

"Mushrooms, the brown ones," Katherine answered. Shrub nodded, looking around a bit anxiously as they crossed the cobblestone bridge over the raging lava pool.  The gnome was starting to wish she had taken a bit extra on the trip she made a few weeks ago, but it was far too late to turn back anyway.  Besides, it couldn't hurt to spend a little more time with Katherine.

"So... how's the Overgrown been doing?" Shrub asked, breaking the gap of silence between them and helping her keep her mind off of the dangerous area they were in. 

"It's been well!  I've actually been learning so much about the magic of the flowers, I've never known how many uses some of them have in potion making until now," Katherine answered, seeming happy to share her thoughts with her mushroom ally.

"Well that's great to hear! The mushrooms around the Undergrove are pretty magical too if you ever wanna stop by and take some," Shrub offered. "I mean... we don't have any brown mushrooms anywhere right now-"

The two giggled with each other, continuing down the path until they stopped by the Nether fortress. Katherine readied her shield as Shrub readied her sword, the girls making their way into the dark red corridors fully prepared for anything that could happen.

...almost anything.

A couple hallways in, Katherine looked down a path to see a Wither skeleton all the way the end. But it was only one, and the cobblestone trail to the Blaze spawner clearly went down that way, so she led Shrub towards it.

"Don't worry, I got this one," Katherine assured, taking out her sword and going ahead of Shrub.  As soon as she stepped into range, the Wither skeleton noticed her and bolted forwards with its sword.  It took two swipes to its ribcage before falling, all without hitting Katherine once. 

"Man, these guys are really a joke, huh?"  Shrub said just before noticing another pop out from behind the corner. 

"Yeah, maybe we've just been fighting way tougher stuff recently.  I remember when I was still scared of going out at night, even with my first diamond sword," Katherine said, watching as Shrub kicked down the second skeleton and go to finish it off before she suddenly turned her head down the corner and stopped.  This made Katherine notice the sound of many, many bones clanking together from the hallway.

"Katherine we need to- AH!"  Shrub yelped as the skeleton she pinned down finally took its chance to swipe up at her, catching her in her arm.  It didn't seem so bad at first, but then the Withering effect took hold and started to eat away at the surrounding skin and muscle.  Shrub backed far away, letting Katherine finish off the skeleton as she clutched her arm in a futile attempt at stifling the pain.  Kathrine took the opportunity to look down the hallway she couldn't see before, and that's when she saw the biggest horde of Wither skeletons she'd ever seen before, maybe even the biggest horde of any mob.