004 ➶ No Day But Today

A/N:  Billy goes to dinner and Tries It. Thanks for reading, comments and votes would be amazing if you enjoy the fic. xx

** ** ** 

   "Claudia, do you have the keys?" Mona crossed the salon floor.

"I do, we're fine here, go on. Dusty is spending the night at the Wheeler's place. Having some castle and dragons party." She'd gushed.

"Feel free to close up early if we're dead the last hour. Thanks, sugar." Mona patted her back as she followed Evie out the door.

"Can I drive?"

"I was hoping you'd ask." Mona smiled.

Evie was saving for a car. And college. And her future.

And it was a lot.

Truthfully, she didn't care for school. It was in the way. Wished her lyrics could carry her straight to the red carpet before all those flashing paparazzi.

Wanting to unwind, Evie hid in her room when she got home. Shut the curtains and prodded at herself before the vanity. Sorted dangly earrings in a mesh metal display. Huffing to lean over when Bourbon swept into her legs. His little body shivered and she plucked him up.

"Okay, BB, you're my best guy. You can't let me down." She scratched under his chin, gave him a little boop on the nose. "You take one look at that walking Def Leppard poster and you hiss and run. Got it?"

A purr.

"Good boy. You're my only hope here. We can't lose. Not to Billy Hargrove." Arms let him down. She'd feel this sentiment often about Billy. A sigh. Evie applied a fresh lip color and paused. "Ugh." She pushed up and didn't change. Did her school work to get it out of the way and wandered out, turning the TV on to some game show. The savory smell of dinner wafted. "Need help here, Mom?" One tug and the ceiling fan spun, cycling cooler air.

"No, I have it. You can set the table for me." Mona drained some noodles.

"Got it." Plates and cutlery clicked around. Evie slid everything into place, perked up when the doorbell rang. Mona turned and smiled as her daughter adjusted fabric and fixed curls into place all the way to the door.

Evie half expected Billy to not even show. But, there he was. Sly smile and all. Billow of date night cologne. A vision in moonlight.

"Hey." Evie said slowly. The surprise evident.

"Hey." He mirrored it.

"You're here." An exhale out. He blinked, found himself again.

"I was gonna steal flowers from the old lady's garden across the way, but there's a huge opossum in her trash guarding it." He tilted his head, earring catching the porch light and she cracked a grin.

"Big Ben? Yeah, he's the neighborhood menace. Chief Hopper's nemesis because they get so many calls about it. You'd be a hero if you took him on." Evie persuaded lighter. His face fell.

"I'm not trying to die in Hawkins, Indiana. That thing was bigger than anyone on our football team."

"Color me impressed. King Billy didn't want to do battle for the first time?" She actually teased him. Her nose crinkled when she smiled. Cute. "Shock and awe."

Billy felt this tug pulse up his ribcage. Pulled a genuine chuckle from his lips. He had to look away to give it. Glowy in starlight.

"Sometimes I surprise people. I know my weight class and the pests here look like they were grown and mutated in some lab." He shrugged into the door frame with one fist lifted, clicking his lighter shut. Hooded eyes all over. Evie went still as he leaned forward to her face with his tone lowering. "Am I allowed inside? Pretty please?"