027 ➶ Just My Type: Bonus Flashback

This is actually a bonus chapter that used to be a oneshot! If you guys wanted Billy and Evie's first rocky meeting when he moves to Cherry Lane. Good chance to explore some mean Billy and he is MEAN. So fair warning of that. Light bullying and sorta fatphobia if you squint. Sexual innuendos.

Thanks and please please interact with the fic anyway you like. Comments mean a bunch, stay and chatter however you like!

** ** ** 

Hawkins, Autumn. 1984.

Position. Tense. Relax. Strum.

Vibrations. Smooth and cool like pond ripples. Recline on lily pads to float away.

Evie Fenny leaned back into the lazy kisses the autumn breeze granted her skin.

One leg down and the other slung up on the porch swing. Rocking herself in shade. She pretended the orange and brown leaves mingling together swirling were dancing for her all over the street.

"Crazy..." She sang, strumming slow and careful. Precise. "Crazy for feeling so lonely. I'm crazy..." Melodic vocals picked up as the sun sparkled before her. Not able to touch her skin. "Crazy for feeling so blue-"

Knocks on the open window behind her almost had Evie dropping the guitar. She scrambled to hug it close. Notes fluttering.

Fucking record scratch.

"Mom!"

"No depressing numbers on the porch, Eves. I've had to say this a lot the past summer." Mona Fenny, oblivious but trying, decided it was a good day to dust every single picture and knickknack in their house. Which sent Evie and her poor sinuses outside.

Mona hummed thoughtfully, busy with a rag in hand as she cleaned the window to linger. Face near pressing into the mesh screen.

"Does this have to do with you quitting choir your senior year? All that practice you're losing out on."

"Mom, I told you, they play favorites and it just...didn't fit into my schedule." Evie frowned because it was still a damn waste. The class she put in its place wasn't what it was supposed to be. Her heart shattered at the thought.

"They miss you. Your teacher followed me round and round Bradley's Big Buy trying to find out what was going on with you. Mrs. Robitaille is a persistent thing. I thought you were one of the favorites."

"I'm no one's favorite." The syllables blurted and cut sharp. Too sharp.

"Don't say that." Mona sounded so wounded about it. Evie recalibrated. Tune and all.

"Nothing's going on. I'm just busy. I'm practicing solo. All the greats go solo." Evie rolled her eyes. Fingers tracing taut strings to make sure they were still tuned.

"How about you play some Dolly?"

"I'm Dolly'd out from summer still." Evie groaned, sitting back again. Strummed once then a second time. Sighed and watched the leaves dance. Cheering her on. Chanting her name. Spelling it against the air. "I'll play Etta."

"You can't get through most of her songs without crying, sweetheart."

"Practice makes perfect." Came the retort. It was true.

"What about Elton? I think that's a fair middle ground."

Evie smirked a little. Played an angrier cord.

"Oh, I finally decided my future lies!" She filled the neighborhood, but they didn't mind the Fenny house. Worse noise rattled the street aplenty. "Beyond the yellow brick-!"