011 ➶ My Heart Burns There, Too

A/N: The aftermath of Evie's attack and some needed love from friends. Billy taps into a darker part of his life to protect her and realizes what she's beginning to mean to him. TW: Abuse, mentions of past student/teacher relationship, Billy's anger. **Thanks and comment below if you're enjoying :) xx

** * ** 

   Billy's knuckles turned pink from the incessant pounding.

A huff.

Maybe Evie was standing him up.

Something pricked his stomach. Told him to keep trying.

"Evie!" He called. "I know you're home..."

Nothing. Behind him, a car had pulled up.

"Billy?" Heather parked and got out. Fucking pretty boy in her passenger seat. He and Steve still weren't chummy even after the revenge plot.

"What are you doing here, princess?"

"Was gonna see if Evie wanted to hit the movies with us." Arms crossing, her hip cocked. Priss. "Something to do."

"You're too late, I laid claim to Fenny tonight. She's going out with me." Billy knocked again. "Once I get her ass out here... Evie!"

"Is she?" Heather eyed him closer and approached. "Is she even home?"

"Think so." Billy crept around the side of the house to her window. Knocked. Nothing.

"Way to be a total creep." Steve remarked, hands shoving into his pockets. Half amused at Billy's persistence.

"I see a lump on her bed through the blinds. Curtain is cracked." Billy huffed. "Hey, Evie!"

"Something happened." Heather's eyes changed as Billy turned to see her. The expression made his pulse speed. "Evie did this after her dad left. Evie!" She knocked too. "Your friends are here!"

"Okay, I'm breaking in." Billy went around front. Felt about the windows with the other two behind him.

"Whoa, wait a second, aren't you-?"

"Harrington, the neighbors here really don't give a shit. They won't call the cops for anything." Billy looked elsewhere as he said that. "Believe me."

Steve watched him jiggle a window.

"Is it unlocked?" Heather came back up the steps.

"Yeah." Billy yanked it up. Climbed in and shut it, went to open the front door. Steve groaned and followed them inside.

"Evie." Billy entered the bedroom. Blue jumped up to come climb his leg. "Even the damn cat is ready for our...date...thing." He couldn't think of a better word. One hand plucking the ball of fluff from his hip to push it at a confused Steve.

Evie still didn't move to get up. Just breathed.

"What's going on?" Billy got tender. "Hey."

He came to her first. Evie bundled and hidden upon her bed in the dim light while the sky grew darker. Heather trailed after with Steve in the doorway.

"Go away." A muffled croak followed. Heather sighed and sat down. Put her chin on Evie's shoulder. Felt her friend go stiff.

"Hey...we'd really like to see you. What happened, Evie? Please talk to me." She sounded truly afraid. Hands peeled the comforter away. Evie hid herself into the pillow. Arms up to pull her hood further. Curls splayed in tufts of loose frizz

"Evie, come on," Billy climbed near her legs, "we'll go outside if you just want to talk to Heather."

"I just wanted him to stop." Evie's fingers curled, voice cracking and glazed with tears. "I wanted it to stop. I didn't mean to be so loud, I was just trying to make it stop."