022 ➶ Rust and Stardust

A/N: Hi everyone!! The return we've all dreaded. Warning for Fredrick Bullshit. Just also gonna say the way he returns is Ugly. Pica//mention of aftermath. Billy & Evie get help from a friend. **Thanks! Let me know what you think :)

** ** ** 

April 1985

"Great set tonight, baby." Iris flicked an envelope out to Evie's waiting hand. "Rest of the month is slim and so is May, but I have plenty of summer hours for you. That's for certain now."

Evie bit her lip, giddy.

"Really?"

"You paid dues. Day and night hours as the city comes alive again. Lots of parties. Bigger drag events in need of hosts. I need help keeping my queens together if you can lend a backstage hand too." Iris leaned over the bar. "You tell your mother?"

"Ah, when summer picks up. I'm still technically her receptionist even though she's given me no hours. Keeps saying I need to enjoy my senior year." Air blew out her lips, flipping a few curls up. Iris didn't look up from her clipboard as she counted bottles and took notes.

"She got a new man?"

"I don't know. She dates here and there. Parties. Why?"

"Divorced mamas get strange on their kids when they have something new that gets serious. She's in that stage of not wanting to bring two worlds together, but running out of reasons not to at this point. My mother did the same thing, of course not much came as a surprise to her when I came out." Iris smiled. "She knew for years and immediately began altering her old dresses for me."

False lashes winked, sultry.

"Ugh, I can't think about my mother dating. She's brought home duds on rare occasions who didn't cut out fast enough." Evie perked to see Billy at a table putting a cigarette out while the band played on.

"You shouldn't keep your Eros waiting, go on home. I'll call if more hours present themselves. Take care until next week, sweets." Iris tipped Evie's chin up. "And kick ass the rest of your senior year. It flies by."

"I will, Iris. Billy and I are going to prom. May 25th." Evie hadn't even told her mother. Sometimes Iris felt like more of a mom than Mona did. All her advice and warmth. Her easy breezy acceptance.

"I'll make sure you have that weekend open." Iris swept some curls from Evie's shoulder. "Need anything, I'm here. Especially hair and makeup tips. I never went to my prom and I wish I did. You deserve a good night."

"I'll probably need the help, I'd like that. Thank you, Iris. I, uh, I mean it. Hey, I'll see you later though." Evie turned to Billy already there with a jacket. Iris glittered watching them go off. His denim eased over her shoulders before they were leaving up the steps.

"Not cold tonight," he remarked, eyes on the moon glimmering, "got time to fool around in the backseat? I have a new blanket back there to break in."

"Oh, tempting," Evie giggled and got into the car, "still tired from what we did in that church confessional during the Easter party."

"Our best work. You knew better than to bring me around a church." Billy chuckled, speeding out as Evie fussed with the radio. She settled in and peered at the lipstick kiss on the sleeve of his jacket. A smile crossed.

"How's Max?"

"Still sneaking into my room from time to time when I'm not with you. Little shit kicks in her sleep. She doesn't really talk about it anymore," he shrugged, exhaling. "Dad's been working and drinking himself to sleep so, not really bothering with us unless we get in his way of a cold six pack."