024 ➶ Tyger Tyger, Burning Bright

A/N: Hey everyone! Thanks for tuning in. Billy and Evie deal with some aftermath and try to hold things together. TW: Mentions of abuse, Pica, fatphobia, Fredrick's bullshit, and violence. Lots of smut to cope tho. Long chapter! Comment wherever if you're enjoying xx

** ** ** 

   Evie leapt from Fredrick's car with her backpack, making a mad dash.

"Evie!" he called after her.

"Later, god damn it." She hissed and shut the door. To her luck, he drove off in a sweep of exhaust. Evie didn't go home to change and instead went up the steps to the Hargrove house. An hour early. Hair done to perfection.

She knocked. Tried not to bang because Neil's truck beat her home. Something clattered behind the walls. Like a piece of furniture being tossed to the floor. Crashing. Evie raised her hand when the door opened.

"Evie." Susan was deathly pale. Puffy with wiped tears. Trying to smile pleasant and porcelain.

"I'm sorry, I'm early, I was hoping Billy could help me with-"

"Oh, dinner." Susan had a rag wrapped around her hand, she shut the door and nudged Evie to follow her down the steps. "I'm so sorry, I don't want to be rude."

"Are you alright?" Evie cut in, meeting her eyes. Susan flicked her gaze aside. Lips pressing before she nodded.

"I dropped this dish I was going to use. Old thing. It belonged to my grandmother. Just a little cut trying to clean it." Susan sniffled, crushing in on herself. "I'm sorry, Evie, we have to cancel dinner. I really wanted to have you over. We all looked forward to it. I promise I'll make it up to you."

She'd said that before.

"There's a family matter that came up. I'm so sorry again. We'll do this maybe another week. I'll make something special. But, I have to...to handle this." Susan was almost frantic, feet shifting side to side. She kept looking back at the house. "I have to handle this. Another time. I'll have Billy call you."

"Susan..." Evie trailed off as the mother hurried back toward the house. "If you need anything, I'll be right next door."

Susan's lips pressed.

"I'll handle this. Thank you." She pleaded that, going back to the house. Locking the door. Locking herself inside with the storm that would rage.

Evie shuddered when the door closed. Some muffled shouting resumed. Running now, Evie tossed her backpack aside in the house and locked the front door. She could still hear whatever chaos was cycling within the Hargrove house. Pictured Billy on his knees under the meaty wack of a belt. Max covering her ears in her bedroom, trying not to scream. Susan pleading for it to stop while her hand bled and her eyes turned aside.

Neil raging. Ready to hit the bottle for the night.

Evie yanked for the phone. Closed her eyes to dial. Opening them to see the house next door out the window. Skies dampening. Darkness didn't wash out the fury within. Fingers poised to dial the police. She'd almost done it a few times before. Billy needed her. They'd come and Neil would spin a tale of promises and assurances. Make Billy look like the unstable mad dog.

The phone clicked down. Evie pressed her head to the wall. Followed the dim hallway and felt an ache when Blue didn't come out to greet her. She reached for the chain that would bring the attic down. And the chill with it.

Recoiled.

Evie washed her face. Curls fluffed and wasted. Dressed down to a PJ shirt. Dragged her blanket into her makeshift closet bed. A beat. A sigh. She put the phone close to wait. Ignored her beloved guitar. Heard rain begin to wash out the Hargrove house quarrels while she curled up in the cold. Evie didn't cry. Strangely enough. Not when the rain got harder. Not while Billy was somewhere hurting.