020 ➶ Rose Tint My World

A/N: Hello everyone. Thanks for clicking in to read. Billy and Evie continue to explore their new relationship together. Max's fourteenth birthday party marks a change for the teens, reminding them that danger isn't too far off. TW: Neil being Neil. Mentions of abuse. Something close to an almost assault/abduction off screen near the end. Light mentions of Pica & fatphobia. Sexual themes. **Thanks again and let me know how you like the story!!!

** ** ** 

   "Hold still, I'll poke your eye again."

"I can't breathe, you're killing me." Came a sniffled whine.

"Such a baby. You asked."

"I said I was curious after you put the gunk on my nails!"

"That gunk was a great color on you. You whine just like your big brother." Carol had Max's face clamped in her grip as she applied mascara. "Don't blink, you'll smear it."

"Evie, she's killing me," Max lamented aloud. "This is not worth it." Evie just laughed, setting a bowl of pretzels aside. Carol flicked a mirror up to let Max see her handiwork. "Whoa...It's not terrible." She gruffed in a mumble, tilting her head to see each angle. "Kinda like Madonna."

"I'll take it." Carol stole some M&Ms from another dish as they shared a spot on Heather's fuzzy carpet. A movie rolled on in the corner TV.

Max about howled when Heather came in from the bathroom, face covered in green.

"Monster!"

"It's a face-mask!" Heather planted her hands on her hips, prompting more laughter. "You'll be more into them once your body really changes."

"Girls are way scarier than boys." Max poked at her blushed cheek which had Carol smacking her hand away. Evie was draped across the bottom of the bed in her robe and nightie, half-watching the TV. "Can you do a zombie make-up?"

Carol gave a snort.

"I can do anything. kid."

"Eves, you want another piece of pizza?" Heather crossed with the box.

"I'm so full." Evie shook her head.

"You had like one piece."

"I ate a big lunch. And lots of pretzels." Evie snatched the pretzel bowl again for good measure. Truthfully, her appetite had been up and down lately. Mostly down. What with the pangs in her stomach that always passed and... "You sound like my mother."

"She was...extra peppy at the salon today. My mom and I got our monthly trim."

"Probably some guy she's seeing, it'll pass and another will come. Men are like Kleenex to her. Soft, strong, and disposable." Evie shrugged to pluck up a magazine.

"Hey," Max began as Carol fussed over her, "so I didn't want to make a thing of it, but my mom keeps insisting. My birthday party is coming. She and Neil saved so I could have it just at the roller rink and...they said I could invite whoever I wanted. But, I can't ask the guys to come. So I figured I'd ask El. She's really cool. But, maybe if you guys wanted to come? You can bring boys and pretend you're not even at my party if it's not your thing. I just-"

"Max, we'd love to come." Heather piped up first. "Evie and I rule the rink too."

"I look very cute in skates," Carol agreed with a twitching smirk. "I'm in. I'll bring Tommy, he sucks and he'll fall down a bunch. We'll pretend we ran into each other so your stepdad can get the stick out of his ass."