017 ➶ Heart-Shaped Shadow Box

A/N: Evie's birthday bash comes with a flood of feelings and smut. Billy struggles with his heart. xoxo **Thanks and let me know what you think please!!!

** ** ** 

   Monday was strange. News spread like wildfire. Carol Perkins and Evie Fenny had a civil interaction. See it and be amazed. All's well in the animal kingdom again.

Order restored. Clouds opening. Roll on snare drum followed by velvet curtains.

Even the snow was thawing to wet slush.

It all happened at Tommy's dented locker near the English hallway's corner. Evie stopped. Hit her mark flawlessly. Found the light. Flashed a pleasant smile which earned Carol's lip twitching in response.

And the crowd went wild.

"Tommy and I are sitting with you. At lunch. Might want to warn Steve and Heather to put the claws away. We'll come bearing gifts even. Well...promises of gifts we'll deliver on later. Not school-friendly." Carol fished for a pack of mints in Tommy's pocket. This was clearly not up for debate.

"Consider it an early promise for your birthday." Tommy had added with a beam of teeth.

"Sure. Cool. See you guys." Evie held a book to her chest and continued to her locker. Switching items around before she went back to meet Billy at his. Spotted the faded leather of his jacket and ducked a little to sneak upon him.

A feline on the prowl ready to overtake the dominant male lion.

"Did you know you're the only girl around here who doesn't cover herself in that Love's Baby Soft crap? The grown woman perfume gives you away, chica." Billy spoke without turning. Evie's made an annoyed sound and dropped her shoulders, inches behind him. "Not a complaint. I like the thrill of it."

Blue eyes peered to see her there and Evie got the urge to stick her tongue out as a child would. Didn't want to tempt Billy though. Or did she?

"Yeah, yeah." Air blew a curl from her face. One shoulder nestled into the locker next to him. "Feels weird today."

"You're not getting into a fight for once." He remarked, smacking metal shut to lean back against it while the student body bustled along. Eyes slipped down and Evie pouted, straightening.

"My eyes are up here, Hargrove." Two fingers rose to gesture at them.

Little extra work put into her eyeshadow and lipstick today. Little extra time picking out outfits that weren't for Fredrick. Can't go wrong with a loud print that looked like it was out of a creepy hotel's carpet. Or a short skirt with her tights. Evie felt especially positive about her body today.

She didn't eat anything bad this morning. See. She was getting better. She was stopping because she was in control and could stop this sickness at any time she wanted.

"Sure. I'll get there." Gorgeous lashes batted to knock the wind out of her, but Evie puffed. Billy's gaze lifted, flicking with amusement because she was too easy to rile up. Too easy to get blushing. "Must feel weird," he'd repeated, "no battle."

"That could be. Farewell badass reputation. I knew you all of two days." She sighed for dramatic effect and he actually smiled, head shaking before an arm swept around Evie's shoulders. Pulled her taut and flush into his fire.

For once, she didn't look at anyone else.

Leaned into Billy and walked along as if she was meant to be there.

As if they didn't look funny together.

That was a beautiful thing this morning. Something that made her feel full and in control.