025 ➶ Thank You and Goodnight!

A/N: Evie and Fredrick have a deadly confrontation that threatens to shake her entire world apart.

Guys. I'm so happy and thankful that this story is even being followed. This chapter is dark, it deals with very real, hard topics. Topics that have touched my life as well as too many others. It's important that I get things right in telling this story and I hope you all are taking care.

TW: Sexual assault, abuse, threats, manipulation, talk of death/suicide, and major trauma. It's not all explicit, but it occurs and it's not made light of. Please be in the right mindset before reading. I truly love each of you tuning in for this story and Evie. Know that there is always good and always a way out.

As always, I'm hunnybee038 on tiktok. I don't have much reach here but comments, kudos, and recs would be really amazing. Thanks again. xx

** ** ** 

   "Too cold?"

Evie looked up at Steve in the guestroom doorway. A kind smile crossing as he pushed his hands into his pockets and approached. Night came to a gentle simmer dotted in stars. Blue curled up on Evie's lap while she reclined in the bay window. Contented somehow.

"No, it's fine." She scratched the cat's ears. "She's growing."

"She keeps hiding my pens." He shifted to sit across from her. "Hargrove called a bit ago, he's running late but left work. Wherever that is. Stopped by his place."

"Best not to bring it up." Evie peered outside, a beat to watch the trees sway. Seemingly dancing with them. "Do you still have feelings for Nancy?"

"That ship sailed."

"Not the question." Evie pressed her mouth at him and Steve shrugged.

"I was shitty to her during our last few fights. Left my girlfriend drunk at some party. Yelled at her the next morning when she was hurting over Barb. I don't get cool points because I took over some babysitting gig that worked out for me." Steve crossed his legs and sat back. "Don't even think Hargrove would have pulled some of that crap."

"Least you didn't sleep with your teacher. A man who has now also slept with your mother. To get back with you." Evie rolled her eyes. "We're all after school specials, aren't we?"

"Yeah," Steve laughed, "yeah, we are."

"He's not even a good English teacher, too." Evie burst, covering her lips. "I disagreed with every book opinion he had. We used to have these debates, argh. He thought Humbert Humbert was some tragic, deep hero. God, I hope my mother drives him up the wall with her Dolly Parton obsession. And what's really twisted is I'm so...I'm used to him being back. This short time, it's like he never left."

"He's fucked up."

"Probably what drew him to me in the first place. Feel like I gave a vampire permission to enter my home." A grimace crossed. Evie rubbed her temples. "I'm sorry, it's all I talk about."

"Your life. The audacity." Steve shrugged, petting Blue as well. "Talk away, it's fucked. Thought my parent's cheating Olympics was pretty screwed up so if it's any consolation, I feel normal for the first time."

Evie laughed again. A louder sound.

"That's why I'm here." She shifted and Blue chirped, disturbed before she bounded up to go to her water dish. "Thanks for having the freak show over."

"Ah, I wouldn't go that far. I like having friends around." Steve sighed, lashes fluttering too pretty at her. Evie softened at him, legs curling under herself.