030 ➶ An Awfully Big Adventure

A/N: Hey everyone. I know I may disappoint some with this. This is the last chapter of 'sins of my youth.' I hope you understand the choice I'm making. I love Evie and Billy with all my heart despite anon problems, dying reception, and negativity with the fandom.

As many of you knew, I did have an entire last arc planned and built but I know I'm just not in a place to be writing it. That's not to say I never will. A possible sequel story might come about if a new season lights me up again. I'd love to explore more summer, Hargrove house, more of Evie's backstory, her friends, and her future in music! Billy as well ofc!! 

Evie and Billy deserve their ending and so do I and so do my lovely readers. Please stick around to chat if you can and I'd love to hear for you wonderful people. xx I also can post a church confessional smutty one-shot I wrote if you all want that as a bonus chapter! 

Thanks! Comments, votes , and kudos would really mean so much if anyone is out there.

** ** ** 

Epilogue. Summer.

Sprinklers cast. Spraying a glittery sheen of water under bejeweled god rays. Rainbows shone through. Emerald grass gleaming all up and down Cherry Lane. Brought the entire street to life with neighbors about. Hawkins seemed to have a heart beating under it.

Evangeline Fenny sat upon her porch flicking through a magazine. Clad in high-rise denim shorts with a pink bathing suit top. Her curls big and full. Vaguely damp from the nearby sprinklers raining diamonds over her. Billy's jean jacket loosened over her shoulders.

Wheels rumbled over the sidewalk. Max Mayfield rode up. Flashed a tired smile that was genuine. Her new normal. Red hair wild and free under a backward baseball cap.

"Stole us some candy from mom's tin. She's had this craving for strawberry suckers," Max offered a stick before unwrapping her own. The younger teen plopped down. "So...Lucas and I are going to the arcade later."

"I think that'll be a nice time."

"Billy scrounged up a few quarters for me," Max scrunched, "I hate when Lucas tries to pay for everything even if he's so nice about it."

"Boys," Evie's eyes flicked to one waiting for her. Billy in her Everlast shirt that he cut into a summer crop. Red shorts from lifeguarding at the pool earlier. Bent over the hood of his car fumbling with something. A smile glittered her entire expression when he caught her watching him. Wiggled a suggestive eyebrow. Thrilled to be the object of her affection.

"I'm off, girls," Mona clicked down the porch between them. Weeks passed. They healed. Tried to. Sometimes that was all you could do. Keep on living. And, frankly, Evie considered it to be the greatest adventure above all. Peter Pan had nothing on her.

Mona kissed her daughter's head.

"We still doing the movie tomorrow? Something scary?" She endured it because she knew Evie loved them.

"Yes, popcorn with extra butter," Evie paused, "love you."

"I love you too, baby. Max, you should come with us. Girl's night. Carol and Heather are also going," Mona extended the invite. Max peered at Evie for a nod and received one before she beamed.

"I'd like that, I'll ask my mom real quick and let Evie know," Max jumped up. Left mother and daughter for a moment as Evie finished up her sucker. Turned her tongue and lips a candied red.

"Mr. Clarke asked about you again, mama," Evie hesitated. "Ran into him in town with Billy when we stopped by for ice cream after he got off. That new mall is pretty great. I..." She fished into Billy's jacket. "I grabbed his number. For you. Maybe you can tell him yourself. I've retired from passing love notes. Officially."