Chapter Two | Dom Perignon

The lock to my apartment clicked and I pushed open the door and softly shut it behind me

The lock to my apartment clicked and I pushed open the door and softly shut it behind me. I threw my black hood and tucked my bandana away.

I slipped past the living room to see Bella asleep on the couch and Joely next to her eyes open.

As I came into view her face lit up "Mummy!" She cheered fiddling with her purple princess night gown.

"Baby girl what are you doing awake, it's past your bed time!" I looked to the clock to see 12:20am.

"Aunties sleeps" her head flipped to Bella who slowly woke sitting up and her eyes immediately drawn to my hand.

"Oh my god what happened?!" My eyes shifted to Joely and Bella piped down.

"I dropped my water glass and it shattered and I cut myself while picking up the pieces" she nodded standing slowly stretching out her arms as the Barbie on her lap fell to the floor.

She turned to Joely bending down "it's been a pleasure as usual" enveloping her into her arms.

"I have to get home before Issa kills me" her roommate was batshit crazy in ways but paid a fair amount of rent "Bye Joel's, bye Hope" she grabbed her purse and left.

"I say it's bedtime?" Joely didn't argue as her eyes struggled to stay open.

I pulled her up into my arms as she rested her head on my chest. Her breathing slowed as she slowly drifted off. I walked with her up the stairs and down the hall pushing open her door.

I placed her down on her bed "can't believe you are up this late" the mom guilt I felt was unreal, I should've been the one picking her up from daycare not Bella.

I tucked in her pink duvet to the sides of her bed and as I turned I felt her tiny hand wrap around mine "mummy wait, frere Jacques" she pleaded.

"Okay, if you promise mommy to sleep" she nodded her head lightly.

I climbed into the bed holding her against my chest "Frère Jacques, Frère Jacques" I sang softly as she lulled to sleep "Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?" My fingers combed her soft brown curls as her eyes fully closed.

"Sonnez les matines, sonnez les matines, ding dong ding, ding dong ding" her body went limp to the sound of my voice and I slowly slipped out from under her placing a kiss on her forehead "good night baby girl"

I switched off her light turning down to my room. I stripped out of my clothes and turned on the blazing hot shower that was much needed.