Chapter Three | Lemons

The rain outside was distracting today

The rain outside was distracting today. Though usually it was 99.9% of the time relaxing, today it was not. It was windy which made the rain splash against my office window in weird splotches.

"How's Cortez?" I looked up to see Lucas.

"I think I have a good angle on the case that will surely hold well in the court, he's not guilty just in a weird position" he slid into the leather chair in front of me and sighed.

"Kaden?"

"Max" now I was confused, there was never a mention of Max "she was my tinder date a few nights ago and things went really well and then she just ghosted me!"

"Really well on both ends or just... yours?"

"We've been talking but then it's just been crickets for two days. She went cold turkey on me Hope!" He whined like Joely stomping his foot against the floor "what do I do?"

"Fuck Max, find yourself a real one Lucas. You deserve better!" He nodded.

"I do don't I?" I nodded as he sat up "don't feel sorry for yourself, feel sorry for Max!" He nodded.

"Yeah!"

"Want me to beat her up?" He glanced at me up and down "no offense, but Max is a boxer and you're a pin" I scoffed at his remark.

"That's because I never show my body you dick head, I work my ass off for reference and I could take her easy peasy!" That's the thing about Lucas, he can also be an asshole with no filter.

"I've been boxing for many years Lucas, before and after I had Joely" he looked surprised which I took even more offense to.

"You really are super mom? What's your super power?" I bit my lip smiling "I can throw a dagger directly in the part of someone's back killing them within seconds" he rolled his eyes.

"Have you been watching the equalizer movies again Hope?"

"Denzel Washington does a good job! I take notes Lucas" he stood walking to the side of my desk opening a drawer to reveal my stash of snacks "SO ITS YOU?"

"What's me?" I pointed to my snack drawer.

"I've been noticing that my Pringle stock has been running low? You've been stealing my snacks?" He shook his head.

"No no, Joely welcomed them to me when I watched her in your office that one time months ago and she said I was free to take them."