Chapter 18 | MaryEllen James

The phone rings

The phone rings.

And rings.

And rings.

It keeps ringing and ringing in the background of my dream. And soon I slowly open my eyes to see the time on my bedside table.

4:02am

Whoever was calling me was in serious trouble. I had a meeting with Mr.Reign on an upcoming case in just four hours.

So when I picked up the phone to see the contact displayed on the screen, my stomach dropped.

BAY VIEW RESIDENTIAL

I don't want to pick up the call. Because I know it won't be her voice on the other line. But I swipe the green button across the screen anyway, accepting the call.

"Hello is Miss Taylor there?" I recognize Sharma's voice, but this time it's trembling.

"It's me Dr.Sharma" I'm greeted with silence.

"You need to come, she's not doing well" her words send a cold chill down my back and I'm immediately out of bed.

"I'm on my way" I throw on whatever I can and race over to Bella's with Joely in hand.

I stand outside calling her and banging on her door and soon I'm met with Grayson staring at me confused and angry "It's MaryEllen" His eyes widen and he takes Joely and I leave.

My hearts racing and my palms feel sweaty. As I'm driving I feel uneasy, questioning if I should even be on the empty roads as I drive.

When I park I take a moment to breath and collect myself. I enter the doors and Sharma's in green scrubs adjusting her Hijab. She shares a worried look at me and as we approach Grandma's room I feel the bile rise in my throat.

Grandma laid in her bed weak, blood stained her night gown "She's been coughing up blood, we're trying to make her comfortable" I nod and slowly approach her.

She looks over at me and a small smile forms on her face "Grams" I take her frail hand in mine squeezing it "Where's Julie and Hyram?" Her smile grows, because she knew that I knew they'd most likely be here. But it didn't matter, I put everything aside to be with her.

She shakes her head and I look over to Sharma "She's requested for them not to be here" I stare back at Grandma "It's not because of me right grandma?"

"I- I don't want hateful people with me, when I go sweetheart" her arm shakes as she weakly lifts it to my cheek and I hold it against me as she attempts to wipe away my tears l.