Ch4: Slip

As my foot slipped, so did my left hand hold. I reached out my right hand and managed to grab nothing. I grabbed nothing.

The auto-belay device Batman designed saves you from falling; however, what it doesn't do is save you from embarrassment-because once you let go of the rock and the auto-belay device detects the extra weight, it automatically switches to repel mode and you begin to plummet.

The funny thing about having super-speed is the accompanying super-awareness in order to not smash into walls and trees when running at 300+ mph. I had plenty of time during my descent to think about Bird Boy's mischievous grin and the torment that awaited me.

My head hung low as I descended past the dexterous climber. I glanced to see his surprised face quickly turn into a smirk that he made no attempt to conceal. It was my fall from grace... but it was his devilish smile. Perhaps we were one and the same.

* * *

Once hitting the ground I detached from the belay system. The rope shot up, retreating into its home at the top of the route. If only I could retreat and be spared from the inevitable teasing that was currently sixty feet up and only getting closer. I switched out of my climbing shoes and into my leather sandals, the ones Dick got for me when I was Achilles last Halloween. I let out a small laugh thinking about his ridiculous wooden horse costume.

When Dick finally made it to the base of the cliff, without saying a word, the Trojan horse unbuckled from the line, loosened his harness, and slipped his legs out. He then casually folded his harness before placing it in his rucksack.

"So?" I said, wanting to get the teasing over with.

"So?" the boy innocently parroted back.

"Aren't you gonna say something about me slipping?"

"What? Like your brashness led to your quite literal downfall? Or that even though the the name is taken, Mr. Freeze suits you? Or that I told you so? I would never say such things," the Boy Wonder said without saying such things.

I placed both hands on Dick's shoulders. "I will end you, Bird Boy."

"I think you'd miss me if you did."

"I'd just go find a new best friend."

"No," Dick said, taking a step closer, "you'd still be thinking about me."

I could feel my face turning red.

Crack. Twenty feet from us a branch snapped. I broke away from Dick's shoulders and turned towards where the sound was coming from.

__

Author:

"No," Dick said, taking a step closer, "you'd still be thinking about me."

What a FLIRT... stop it. (Pls continue...)

Q: Have you tried indoor bouldering or obstacle courses before? What about outdoor climbing?