Chapter 15: Becoming Orion

As his thoughts churned chaotically and urgency quickly built within him, Synch held something else out to him. Looking down, he could see it was some sort of card key.

"This card will open the locker in the barracks where your equipment and weapons were locked up," the major explained as he stared at it. "And the legionnaires guarding your nestari have been ordered to release them to your custody as a High Lord of the Ventru."

"So the Legion is just ... letting us go?"

The smile on Synch's face was tight.

"Not exactly, Commander." A small data vault appeared in her hand. "This is a proposal Colonel Kassidy, in light of our current situation, intends on giving to Lord Commander Atrix. In it, she proposes the Silver Legion reach out to make mutually beneficial agreements with other branches of the vampire military to see technology, training, and tactics shared, bringing the overall capability of the Legion to an elite level."

"Is that so," Lash said, reaching out to take the data vault. "I was about to propose that, as soon as I renew contact with the Qos Viran, that I ask them to request the Silver Legion start sending companies over to start training with our tactics and gear to improve your rapid response and special operational capabilities."

Synch's expression immediately brightened.

"Would that training be done in part by you, sir?" she asked with a slight tremble in her voice, suddenly sounding like a fangirl. Much as Kassidy had when she first stepped into Atrix's office a few minutes ago.

"More than likely," Lash conceded with a wry smile. "By the sounds of Kassidy's report, there aren't too many senior officers left. You might get only me!"

If she was any less restrained, Lash got the impression Synch would've clapped her hands with delight. As it was, she had to visibly calm herself before she could finish explaining Kassidy's plan.

"I look forward to presenting that to the colonel," she said, slightly breathless from her effort to hold her excitement in check. "I'm sure her enthusiasm for such a mutual training agreement with the Qos Viran will be greater than even my own!"

Lash smiled.

"Now, Major, how does Kassidy's proposal factor into releasing my Ventru nestari so we can fly north at all speed in an attempt to save Mistress Amyra?"

"Yes, thank you." Synch settled herself a little more. "Your team will be a test to see the effectiveness of deploying a standard nestari force on mission with Silver Legion logistical and tactical support." She let herself smile slightly. "A test run, if you will, of her mutual benefits agreement."

Lash nodded even as his eyes swung back down to the floor. To find Dru gazing steadily up at him, her expression thoughtful longing. There was no denying the emotional connection they had forged together, much like he had made with Fiadh.

It was that thought that made his eyes seek out her fiery red mane somewhere on the first tier. There. And, almost as if she knew he was looking for her, she was looking steadily at him, smiling brilliantly as their eyes met.

He nodded in greeting to her, a gesture she quickly returned along with a subtle blown kiss. Then he was turning to Synch.

"Time to go!"

Sitting on the edge of the simple bed the Legion had assigned to him, Truk frowned as he stared at the stone floor. He should've guessed when those Silver Legion helicopters dropped out of the sky to evacuate the fallen, that an offer of a ride wouldn't have brought him to the fabled NightFire Castle. But to a heavily fortified barracks a couple turns down the mountain where they were stripped of their weapons and equipment and put under house arrest.