The Victorious Return

Naryan smiled as the Nighthawk's ramp dropped to reveal a familiar giant form standing and waiting a dozen paces away, muscular arms folded across his chest.

"See?" he said as she lightly stepped down the ramp and walked towards him, barely throttling back the impulse to run and throw herself into his arms.

"You didn't need me after all!"

"Maybe not," she said, stopping beside him to bump his extended fist with her own. "But it would've saved us some bumble dicking around that made things a little sketchy in the middle there." She glanced over at the first of the ShadowEagles to make the descent down the chimney onto the flight deck and grimaced. "I didn't know just how inept the Silver Legion command was until I experienced your command structure then went back to the Legion."

"That bad, huh?" Lash asked with a frown.

"Bad enough that I wish I could transfer out," Tanner said as she stepped close to also stop beside the big vampire, returning his fist bump with a grin. "Things are smooth as silk with you, boss. And while Kassidy certainly tries to fashion her command style after yours, she's not you, mate."

"Amen to that," Galloway said as she also joined them, getting a fist bump of her own. Then the rest of Force Recon were trooping by, Lash making sure each and every one of them got a fist bump and congratulations on a good job in capturing Romanescu, and freeing the liliths.

"Smooth and tight," the bluff sergeant added, Tanner nodding in agreement. "So bloody efficient, it's like you blink and Lash is killing the last ten bad guys with his bare hands or something equally epic."

Lash chuckled wryly at that. He couldn't say that he liked the hero worship the Silver Legionnaires were engaging in, but he was finding the feedback interesting. It certainly was working to confirm some of the observations both Atrix and the Conclave mistresses had made about the Legion needing to improve their structure and readiness.

"Well, you ladies have to remember that, as my Force Recon, you've probably seen more action in the last two to three weeks than the Legion has seen in a century! And you had the benefit of not just my experience as a commander, but the use of Qos Viran equipment and methods."

He made a gesture towards the descending ShadowEagles.

"This was Colonel Kassidy's first chance at a real fight. I'm counting it as a win that she didn't get her legion completely slaughtered at the hands of Romanescu's security forces which likely had some level of Qos Viran training. It's my, and Lord Commander Atrix's hope that Kassidy and her fellow officers will improve once we implement the cross-training protocols to bring the Legion's overall capability and readiness levels to a much higher standard."

"A fair point," Tanner reluctantly conceded before a big grin abruptly appeared on her face. "You'll like this one, boss. I got to shoot Romanescu in the face with my Stinger!"

"You didn't," Lash said with a delighted laugh.

"Yeah, yeah, right in the face! You should've seen the look on his ugly mug before he started choking on his own tongue! Priceless!"

"Very well done, Tanner!" Lash laughed again, reaching out to give her a shoulder a squeeze, and, before he could draw his hand back, she reached up to put her hand over his to give it a squeeze, a delighted smile on her face.

"Okay, Force Recon, grab some rest and some blood. I have a feeling this pause in the action isn't going to be a long one," Lash said after managing to retrieve his hand.

"Copy that, Lash," Naryan said with a nod. "Well, Force Recon? You heard our resident vampire warrior god! Go get some rest! Shit's gonna get real, real soon!"