The Dragon's Own

As Lash nodded with his own satisfaction, there was a soft chime in his ear. Then Hunter, the AI's voice pitched for his ears alone, was speaking.

"I have several transports on approach, Lord Commander," the AI reported. "They are flashing House Lash idents on the friend or foe challenge."

"Verify it's Lord Darktower and the First Dragon's Own," Lash quickly shot back.

"Verified, Lord Commander," the AI replied. "And his Lordship's ident is confirmed."

"Clear them through to the flight deck and advise Darktower I'll meet him there."

"Yes, Lord Commander."

Then Lash was raising his voice slightly.

"Kassidy!" The Silver Legion officer's head immediately turned towards him. "Darktower is inbound. We're meeting him on the flight deck."

Kassidy saluted and began packing up her materials. Seeing that, Lash turned to Naryan.

"Narya, you're with me."

The first transport was already down, its jet turbines powering down when Lash and Naryan reached the flight deck. A quick look up revealed the remainder of the House forces still descending down the arrival pipe. Then he was focusing on the broad shouldered vampire stepping off the first transport's loading ramp, his kit in a duffel slung over his shoulder.

Dressed in urban camouflage with its broken black and gray pattern, a black beret on his head, Odel Darktower looked exactly like the soldier he was trained to be, chiseled features set with resolve, his dark eyes filled with intelligence as they darted this way and that to take measure of the equipment that was present.

Then the duffel was dropping and he was snapping a fist to his heart.

"My Lord Ingamon Lash," he said smartly in a gravelly voice more used to shouting orders than making formal statements. "I have brought the First Dragon's Own as you commanded."

"Lord Odel Darktower," Lash replied with a nod. "Thank you for coming." He then gestured to Kassidy.

"This is Colonel Kassidy, of the Silver Legion. You'll be developing your battle plan in tandem with her."

Darktower gave Kassidy a respectful nod as he fell into a parade rest, which Kassidy quickly returned.

"And this is ..."

"Naryan Kingsguard," Darktower named her with a hint of a smile. "Uniform looks good on you, Captain."

Naryan smiled.

"Thank you, my lord," she replied.

"Captain Kingsguard is in command of my Qos Viran Force Recon platoon," Lash indicated. "She and her team will be available for stand alone recon missions, and joint missions with your own recon forces, Darktower."

Even as he nodded in acknowledgement, Lash could see Darktower was working through the logistics of combining the Silver Legion forces with his own, and Naryan's Force Recon.

"A question, if I may, my lord."

"Of course, Darktower. Ask away."

"Thank you, sire." Darktower paused for a moment to make a significant look around him at the equipment-filled flight deck. He then returned his attention to Lash.

"As this is a Qos Viran base, and you are Lord Commander, is it correct to assume that the Qos Viran has oversight on this operation, my lord?"

"An interesting question, commander," Lash conceded. "I'll quickly outline the changes in our chain of command. Technically, the Council has oversight of the Qos Viran. While we generate our own targets and develop our own operations, that oversight has the power to shut down any, if not all of those operations, if they determine they don't serve the council or the People of the Night."