Tally-Ho

Naryan grimaced as a stitch of weapons fire cut a line close to her head. A quick check of how full her magazine was, then her Kali was back up and she was pounding fire across the shimmering wall advancing towards them down the street. And, as was happening on every side of their dug-in position, a dozen vampires appeared from beneath their stealth daycloaks, the impact of the high velocity ceramic slugs hitting them like miniature battering rams. Then they were crumbling to dust as full daylight hit them and ignited their nervous systems.

Already the Force Recon legionnaires had sent nearly a hundred enemy vampires to their deaths. And still they came on.

Thankfully they had the upgraded weapons and armor from the Qos Viran or they would've been overrun and dusted out themselves. As it were, they were holding on by their fingertips against the tide of enemy soldiers that felt like they were endless.

With turbo fans roaring, Nighthawk Two swung over the impromptu battlefield, gatling guns snarling. A hundred meters away, Nighthawk One continued around the perimeter, her gatling guns going as well, punctuated by percussive blasts from the Sledgehammers they were pounding into the ground to continue collapsing the bolthole tunnels the enemy were using to crawl in under the perimeter.

For a long moment Two hung there, raking the ground all around the Force Recon position, using both the moving gatling guns and the fixed heavy machine guns on the main rotor shoulders to continue chopping up the incoming vampires under their daycloaks. Then the drop doors were opening and Lash and his Ventru were dropping into sight, weapons hissing as they filled the air with superheated ceramic.

As soon as they were down, the Nighthawk moved off to continue filling the side streets with fifty caliber jacketed rounds from the fixed guns, and depleted uranium from the gatling guns. Dropping to their knees, the veteran Ventru positioned themselves in a tight crescent to give them lines of fire covering every entry point into the street the Force Recon legionnaires had fortified. Then they were filling those entry points with Kali and Shiva fire at a rate that made it seem like it was raining superheated ceramic from the sky.

One swung over the street's other end to deposit the second Ventru squad led by Fordricht. Also forming up into a crescent, they proceeded to empty the streets on that end. Yet, even with all that firepower, it was still nearly ten minutes of hard work before, as abruptly as they had appeared, the enclave fell silent as the last daycloaked vampires were uncovered and ashed out.

"NHA, Nighthawk Two," Truk said into Lash's ear piece as he slowly came off his kneeling position, his Kali still at the ready.

"Two, NHA. Go."

"LiDAR is clear on all fronts. Motion detection also shows clear."

"Copy that." He reached out and tapped Absinthe on the shoulder. When she looked over it at him, he pointed a knife hand down the street they were facing before holding up five fingers.

Nodding in understanding, she stood and led the rest of the squad fifty meters up the street where they took a guardian position. A glance down the street by Lash yielded Fordricht doing the same with his squad.

"Kingsguard, status," he then said out loud as he used a tactical sideways advance, Kali high, to work his way towards her. At the same time Nighthawk Two took up an overwatch position, weapons, for the moment, silent.

"All assets accounted for, boss. Just running a little low on ammo," Naryan replied as, their weapons also up, the Force Recon legionnaires began to move out of their dug-in position.

Lash nodded, his eyes examining every nook and cranny as he moved. Which meant he was also taking note of the number of weapons and cloaks that now littered the ground, most of them seared by the vampires that once wore them, their ash outs creating enough heat to blacken the sturdy, lead-lined material.