Chapter 23: Picking up an Old Scent

"There's too much hesitation to expend resources with the Council being the center of so much controversy," the Lord Commander of the Silver Legion was saying, frustration heavy in her voice, as Narcist slipped into the strategy room. It was Atrix's latest check in, extended to every twelve hours from the every hour it had been in the middle of the crisis.

"With the Hand targeting Night Mistresses that won't support the pogrom against Ventru, they'd rather build their defenses than foster homeless sisters."

That tightened Lash's expression considerably before he sighed, letting go of his own frustration and tension. He couldn't blame the foreign Conclaves. He'd do much the same thing if he were in their positions. He looked sideways over at Narcist, who held up the report in her hand. Nodding in acknowledgment, he pointed at a spot on the war table for her to set the report down on.

"Not coincidentally, we're doing the same, Atrix," he grimly noted. "But I need teams hunting down the puppetmasters behind the pogrom and the assassination attempts against the liliths, if we want any sort of chance of getting ahead of our enemies."

Then something occurred to him.

"But I've an idea that may allow us to do both. Do you still have that legion available to deploy on my command, Atrix?"

"I have birds on the deck right now ready to transport them to your location," the Silver Legion commander said. "And I also have the companies set aside for the liliths that requested Silver Legion protection. 1500 troops in total."

"Hunters' Fjord, the Qos Viran base we're currently utilizing, can house up to three thousand troops. Or a handful of liliths, dedicated legionnaires for their protection, and a legion of Silver Legion m'tada to garrison the base while my teams renew their search for Anna van Tallert's trail."

"Are you thinking another twelve point seven two is in order?" Atrix asked.

"I am, if that works for you. Keeps those twenty two out from underneath your feet while we wait for the other Conclaves to respond. And your Silver Legion can provide a level of protection a good number of them have yet to experience. At the same time, the legionnaires can access the resources available at the base, including its intelligence suite, training facilities, and logistical support services, get some experience with Qos Viran tactics and equipment while giving your troops at NachtFeuer a little breathing room."

Lash smiled tightly.

"We can consider it Stage Two of Kassidy's joint operations initiative."

"Sounds real good to me, Lord Commander. I'm envious of the legionnaires I'm sending you, in fact, as I wouldn't mind some time learning from the Qos Viran myself! Regardless, I'll have Kassidy lead the troops heading your way. And those birds will be in the air in a half hour!"

"Keep 'em there, Lord Commander. I'm sending troop transports to you from remote locations. That way the onboard AIs will know the security protocols that will grant them access to the base and Kassidy won't have to. They'll be on location in three and a half hours or less, for a maximum seven hour round trip. They'll friend or foe as soon as they are pinged by your ASD."

"Copy that, Lord Commander," Atrix crisply replied, sounding fairly excited about the possibilities surrounding Lash's proposed joint operation. "My legionnaires will be ready for whatever you need them to do."

"That's all I can ask, Atrix. Lash out."

He then leaned over the war table.

"Hunter, give me all locations that are storing heavy aerial transports," he directed as Narcist took up a position on the opposite side of the table, her face intent.