Ch. 16 Hot.

Sadly fevers don't last forever. Usually I'd be happy to leave to go to work, but when I woke up in Alexander's guest bed, and sat up. There was no dizziness, no headache, I was fine. I surprised when I wanted to pretend that I was still sick just to stay by him, but my two weeks of paradise were nearly up. No more Alexander after this, it'd only be Mr. Hollingsworth.

    Still, I put on a cheery smile, happy I'd gotten the two weeks with him, and I tried not to selfishly allow myself to be depressed by leaving. Focus on the positives; I ordered myself. Before I could harden my resolve, the door opened, and I turned to Alexander, the smell of pancakes wafted into the room. He looked so happy my heart cried at the thought of telling him I had to go. No, I ordered myself, attachment only means hurt. You can't afford anymore hurt. I suppressed it, and got up. We walked to the kitchen, and he made delicious looking pancakes. "You never told me you could cook." I commented in surprise as I sat down at the table.

    He chuckled, "Do I get brownie points from you now?" He asked, slinging his arms over my shoulders. My eyes widened, and I stepped from his hold. No matter how much he held me, it still like the first time. "You dork." I said, rolling my eyes playfully. I took a bite, and it was like heaven exploded in my mouth. How did he learn to cook that well? "How did you learn to cook so well?" I demanded, completely distracted from my former melancholy. He smiled, and shrugged. "This is really impressive Alex, like really, really impressive." I couldn't help myself from praising him. Alexander smiled at me, "Have you never had good food?" I faltered a little, "Not in a long time." The last person who made me pancakes was my mother. She'd always be the best cook to me.

    After she died I stopped eating them. "Alice?" He asked, I didn't know why a plate of pancakes was making me so emotional, but I was choking up, and my eyes were glassy. "Something wrong?" He asked, I smiled bashfully. "It's nothing." I answered, taking another bite. It wasn't like he was making me cry, in fact this made me happy somehow. Really happy, like he just proposed to me, except that probably couldn't rival this. "Obviously it isn't nothing, you're on the verge of tears." He retorted, I let out a little breath. "I'm just really happy and sad at the same time." I admitted, "Why?" He asked, "Well, the last person who made me pancakes was my mother, and after she died I just stopped eating them. Because they'd make me sad, and taste really bland. And now, eating these, I feel really happy. Don't ask why, my emotions are stupid." I answered, wiping away another tiny tear. Alexander smiled tenderly, "These are tears of happiness?" He asked, "I don't know." I answered, eating another few bites.

    "Good, I was worried I made you cry, again." I laughed at his statement, surprising him. "You're a really good cook Alexander." I murmured, eating more. He smiled crookedly, "You're well aren't you?" Some how in one question, an odd tension settled in the room. "Yes," I had to stop myself from saying 'sir', I always did when I was worried. I don't know why. "I am well, actually. This was really nice of you Alexander. I'm really grateful," I was rambling in a different way, he seemed kind of frozen in his smile. The rest of breakfast he carried and easy conversation but he was lagging something.
    At one, he offered to drive me home. I went into the guest room, and changed into my work clothes. I didn't want to go back to cold showers, dusty sheets, and ramen noodles, but I didn't want to over stay my welcome. Alexander looked surprised that I changed. "Here." I tried hand him clothes, but he just smiled and shook his head. "That shirt is your's Ms. Jones, it looks way better on you." He said, he was already in his suit for work, and we climbed into his car.

    "Thank you so much Alexander, if there's any way I can repay you..." I trailed off, waiting for him to fill in the blanks. He chuckled, "Don't make it sound like I'm leaving town Alice, I might for business deals, but I have to make a formal case for Ms. Joy, and I'm not going to let her horrible ways continue any longer than I have to." I was surprised, I'd forgotten about that completely. "Oh." Was all I could say, which made him smile.

    "Oh, and Alexander, by careful when we reach my neighborhood, I really don't want you to get mugged." It wasn't a nice side of town, not at all. He raised a brow at me, "I've been practicing boxing and self defense for fifteen years, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to defend myself." My eyes widened in realization, "No wonder!" I exclaimed. Alexander looked at me, "No wonder what Ms. Jones?" I smiled shyly, "You're so muscular, I can tell by your chiseled jaw line, but I had no idea you'd been practicing for years." I admitted, he smiled slyly, then it faltered. "Do you practice self defense Alice?" He asked, it was my turn to go silent. I carried around a tazer, but no, I didn't. "No." My voice was really soft. He went quiet for a little while.

    He stared outside for a little longer before asking, "Then how will you defend yourself?" He asked, I shrugged, "Running and hoping not to get shot." I answered, his lips pressed into a line. Obviously that wasn't a satisfactory answer. "Ms. Jones," he sounded reprimanding, and I regretted looking into his eyes. They were so sharp, more intense than usual. "I'm going to turn around right now, I'm not nursing you to health to have you get yourself killed," He snapped. "No!" I gasped, "I really don't want to take up more of your time sir, it would really be horrible for you." I added, Alexander smiled impishly. "I won't on the condition, you meet up with me after work, and I help you train for fighting so you can defend yourself. Deal?" He asked, I stared at him. My heart was beating fast. "Yes sir." I didn't mean to say it flirtatiously, it just came out that way. "Oh, Ms. Jones, you're making me so hot." His voice was so breathy and seductive, to add emphasis he rolled his head, and tugged at his collar like he wanted to strip. "ALEXANDER HOLLINGSWORTH!" I shouted at his teasing.

    Alexander broke out into such a loose laughter it was a wonder he didn't get us into a crash. My face was red, and I just looked out the window. "Oh no, I made you mad at me again." But he was grinning like a mad man. "I despise you sometimes." I muttered, he smiled. "Oh quite the contrary Ms. Jones? Is your chest hurting again? Am I making it race?" He asked, he so was. "No." I snapped, he smiled knowingly at me. "Uh-huh." He agreed sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "Why can't I ever lie to you?" I complained, that made him pause.

    "What?"

    I looked at him, and smirked, "Nothing you need to worry about Allie." I retorted, he smiled back at me, looking at me using the rearview mirror. His eyes were so hypnotic. Soon though, to my disliking, we reached my ratty apartment complex, and Alexander insisted on walking me to my apartment.

    We reached my door after five flights of stairs. He looked sorrowful, "I'll see you later Ms. Jones." He said, turning to leave. No, this was too fast.    

    "Alex!" I called, not meaning to say his first name, he turned, surprise and curiosity on his face. Running up to him, I threw my arms around him in a hug. That was the first time I touched him without flipping out, and I pulled him close into a hug. His breath hitched in surprise as I buried my face into his neck, and laced my fingers through his hair like I'd never let him go. Slowly he hugged me back, his arms wrapped around my waist. I was so frail compared to him.

    I inhaled.

    "Ms. Jones, are you smelling me?"

    "Yes, you smell really nice."

    "This isn't usually how hugs go down, you don't smell people you hug."

    In response I took an even deeper inhale, because all of me wanted to remember his scent until I could see him again.