Ch. 26 Work.

Alexander's P.O.V.

     When she didn't show up for lunch, and I didn't see her with Mindy and Drake I was suspicious. Also because Mindy was crying on Drake's shoulder, and he looked mildly pissed. That was odd, she didn't say anything about scolding Mindy. Suddenly I realized what toll this job might be taking on her, she's composed but sensitive. If she made Mindy cry I couldn't even imagine how she must feel herself.

    That thought made me start speed walking to her office. Once inside the building, the windows that showed her office, curtains covered them, but the lights were off as well. I thought she wasn't inside, but I stepped in anyway. That's when I heard soft breathing, flicking on a lamp, I saw her legs were kicked up on her desk, and her head was lolled back. Her lips parted slightly as she slept. I walked towards her, and picked up her phone. There were voicemails and messages. A lot. She took this job in stride, like she'd been a manager her whole life. It surprised me.

    Opening it, I let myself snoop through, and I opened her notes app. There was a lot typed in, alarms were set. She was really organized. Closing her phone, I looked back her sleeping face, and gently woke her up. Her eyes snapped open and she looked at me. A small smile played on her lips. "Hey." She said simply, sitting like normal, and rubbing the back of her neck.

    "I saw Mindy crying, what happened?" I asked, sitting next to her. She let out a long sigh, but she was better at hiding when she felt like crying but I knew her better. "She didn't do something I asked her to do, and I basically told her off, then told her if she didn't turn it in I'd fire her." That was pretty harsh, I'd expected her to have a soft spot for Mindy. Obviously Mindy thought that too. "It sucks that I had to use that as an incentive for her to do her work." She added, rubbing her face in an exasperated gesture. I felt sympathy. I, myself, already have a really thick skin. But she was still building her's.

    Draped my arm over her shoulders, she leaned on me. "Now she hates me. But hey, I have to the stuff for that business deal today." She said with bitterness in her voice. I forgot about that really important meeting she was having that she told me about. That would help us secure the deal in Japan. Tightening my grip, I kissed her forehead. "She'll come around Alice, she just needs to adjust." I whispered, Alice looked at me, and smiled. It was genuine this time, I always loved how she could smile through even through her sadness. Even though it was a small smile. "Thanks Allie." She teased, winking.
    Her confidence was better now. She also surprised me by her ability to talk to people. She was really humble, and I could tell someone was going to suggest for her to get a promotion again. Even if I didn't know her, I'd notice how many deals she'd secured and how the rate of productivity in her wing had increased.

    "You're so cute." I leaned in and kissed her. She surprised me by kissing me back, I pulled back. "You know how to kiss now?" I asked, she grinned mischeviously.

    "I did have a good teacher."

    I smiled at her, "I'll have to meet him." I responded, she grinned, cupping the side of my face, and this time she pulled me into a kiss. My heart fluttered in my chest. She pulled back, "Thanks for coming to check in on me. I don't know what I'd do without you." She whispered, I pulled her close. "You'd be just as strong as you are now." I responded. She looked up at me with her wide grey eyes.

    Her grin made the corners of her eyes crinkle. "You're a beautiful person Alexander." No one had ever told me that before. We sat together in comfortable silence.

    Both with grins on our faces.