Ch. 29 Midnight.

Alexander's P.O.V.
    Right when we got there, she took me to this small house out in the woods. She opened the door, and walked in. Nobody was there. "What is this place?" I asked cautiously, it was a stereotypical country cute house. "My home, my family keeps it in the family." She explained, leading me up the creaking, wooden stairs. Alice didn't look exactly at peace. When she opened the door to a room, there was small queen sized bed, that had a purple bed spread, and an oak drawer shoved in the corner of the room. Besides that the room was completely bare.

    "You'll sleep here." She explained, and I put my small suitcase on the bed, she was staring at the room, and slowly made eye contact with me. "This was my old bedroom." She explained, she'd looked like she'd seen a ghost. "Oh." It was devoid of anything that'd make it look like a normal teenage girl's room. There were no posters, mirrors, or anything. It was a starch white, with dusty wooden floors and a creaky bed. "Did you take stuff out of here?" I asked curiously. "I didn't put anything up in my room when I was younger." She answered, stepping out. "Where will you sleep?" I asked, she sighed.

    "My parent's room." She answered, it sounded like her soul was ripped straight from her body, she traipsed to the bedroom at the end of the hall, walking like she was walking into a prison. Alice held her hand lightly on the door knob, and didn't move. Like someone just hit the pause button and she was completely frozen. "Alice...?" I asked, she shook her head. "Sorry, I haven't been in here since the day I left." She said, tightening her grip on the door knob. Slowly, the door clicked open, and what I saw was completely normal. It was a spacious room, with a bathroom attached, a huge bed with a black bed spread, a walk in closet, and a picture of what looked like a young Alice.

    She had a big grin plastered on her face, and two people were lifting her into the air on their shoulders. One was a woman who looked to be in her twenties. She had big brown curls, sparkling grey eyes, glossy lips, a flannel, and jeans on, with ivory white teeth, she wore a big, goofy grin. The man, who looked also to be in his twenties, had short blonde hair, glistening blue eyes, tan skin, tall, muscular, handsome, also a big grin. Her parents. They looked so youthful, so alive. Part of me expected to see them walk through the door. When Alice saw the huge photo, her bottom lip trembled slightly, and she looked away quickly. I realized how painful it must be for her to be in here.

    "You alright?" I asked, she let out a bitter breath of laughter. "Better than them." She mumbled, tossing the suitcase onto the bed, and using her palms to wipe away her tears. Alice sighed, crossing her arms, and tilting her head back. She looked so... reserved. Close off. Like she was operating on a different world. But I'd buy a million dollars worth of rocket ships just to get to her. "I know you aren't a very vain person, but it there anything I can give that can make you happy?" I asked, I didn't know how to handle raw emotion. Alice looked at me with a little smile. "A penny." She answered, "What?" I asked. "Every time you think of me Allie, put aside a penny and give it to me later." She explained. I smield, what an odd request.

    So, I pulled out my wallet, and grabbed a penny. After handing it to her, she slid it into her suitcase. "I'll keep them." She added, before she could look at me, and I pulled her into a hug. "I want you to be happy Alice. I'll do anything to make you happy." I murmured, ruffling her hair. Alice looked up at me, with her big grey eyes. She had a small smile on her face, "You being here makes me happy." She answered.

    "Also change your clothes." She added, "What? You don't like my clothes?" Alice flushed as she realized how rude she sounded. I let think that's how I took it, because I liked messing with her. "No, you dork. We're in a small country town, put on something casual, the most formal place you'll be going is to the grocery store." She complained, I smiled, and walked off, changing.