Chapter 1

"Bathsheda most likely won't be able to teach in the upcoming school year.", Dumbledore said almost with a sad tone in his voice. Minerva McGonagall nodded thoughtfully in response. The two of them had gathered on this lovely mid august afternoon to finish the planning for the upcoming term, which was about to start on the 1st of september. Confessedly, the two were rather late, but there had been a whole lot of paperwork to accomplish after Professor Quirrel literally dissolved into smoke during the last year.

The biggest problem, which definitely was to find someone suitable to teach ""Defence Against the Dark Arts", had luckily been solved already, as Gilderoy Lockhart surprisingly accepted their offer for the position. Having him to teach as a professor at Hogwarts would surely make for some positive headlines, which wouldn't hurt the school's image after those recent happenings.

Finding a replacement for "Ancient Runes" was now only of secondary importance, since it was an elective subject that was usually only rarely taken anyway. It had always bothered both Minerva and Albus that only such a small number of students showed interest in the ancient languages, although they were given a not so humble role in the wizarding world. On the other hand it was also quite understandable that the students wouldn't want to bother with a written form that was rarely used during the last centuries.

Albus carefully poured some dark red wine in two golden goblets. They had been planning the timetables for hours now and it was only this last problem that prevented the well-deserved end of work. The option, to simply not offer "Ancient Runes" as an elective subject in the next year, wasn't really an option for both of them. It just wouldn't have been satisfying, although there already were a whole bunch of students who decided for that subject and it wouldn't be easy to make them choose something else. Especially not for the ones that were about preparing for their O.W.L.s or N.E.W.T.s.

Without saying a word Albus placed the goblet on the table in front of Minerva, who toasted him with an almost mischievous grin.

They had already gone through all possible options, had sent out requests to all suitable or not so suitable candidates, but none of them wanted to accept the job.

"I am running out of further ideas, Minerva.", Albus admitted.

"Now that even Selina Hollows rejected the offer, I really can't think of anyone else."

"Well, unfortunately I can only agree, Albus.", there was a slight pause before Minerva continued speaking. There was one very last idea, even if she reckoned chances were almost below zero.

"Albus, maybe I just had another idea, although I don't really think we will have any chances", she added.

"Really?" Albus' interest was piqued. Minerva was still hesitating, as she didn't want to raise too many hopes.

"Well, Albus, you know, maybe my niece..", she spoke reluctantly.

"Oh, you are speaking of Miranda!" Albus ended her sentence with excitement.

"No, the youngest one. Lysanna. Robert's daughter. She has always been interested in runes and as far as I know, she still has by now.", Minerva corrected the headmaster. Albus nodded thoughtfully.

"She's working for the Ministry, unfortunately I can hardly imagine that she would give up her position only to start teaching here.", added Minerva dejectedly.

Albus took a long sip out of his golden goblet.

"Well, we will never know, if we don't give it a try.", he stated with a diverted grin.