Chapter 8

"Today we're going to try something entirely new, Lysanna. I bet you'll be delighted because this is your chance to experience the skills of a truly great wizard," Lockhart praised the forthcoming lesson.

Lysanna wasn't expecting much after she had already attended the lessons of this "great wizard" for the past four days and had to realise relatively quickly that his skills consisted mostly of hot air and steamy chatter. But after all, he had left her alone for the most parts during the last few days.

Lysanna looked at the pedestal that had been set up in one of the otherwise empty rooms, somewhat surprised.

"Dumbledore has given me permission to start this little duelling club. In case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions." Lockhart's voice boomed over the students' heads. Lyanna stayed in the background, secretly hoping she would get the chance to teach Lockhart a little lesson.

-

He'd only engaged in this nonsense because he knew it would be an easy way to expose Lockhart as a fraud. In any case, he had not needed any preparation for this duel.

"Can you all hear me? Can you all see me? Excellent," exclaimed Lockhart as he mounted the pedestal. The students crowded around this...this impostor. Severus stayed in the background for a moment while Lockhart explained what all the fuss was about. He left out the truth that he just wanted to portray himself and be a hero in front of McGonagall's niece. Severus couldn't suppress a smirk at the thought that he was the one Lockhart had chosen as his duelling partner.

"Let me introduce my assistant. Professor Snape. He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration." Lockhart rambled on.

Severus took this as an opportunity to step onto the podium himself and confront this imposter. How dared he calling him "assistant".

"Now I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your potions master when I'm through with him. Never fear" Lockhart continued to the students, not without putting on his disgusting grin.

Severus noticed that Lockhart's eyes caught Lysanna in the crowd. Just disgusting. Well, in a few minutes everyone would know that behind this fake facade there was nothing but hot air.

-

"Professor McGonagall, my lady! Would you do us the honour of opening the duel?" asked Lockhart with a silly bow, drawing attention to Lysanna.

Lysanna, who had preferred to stay in the background so far, slowly approached and eyed the two men on the dais.

The way Lockhart acted was amusing. At least it would have been amusing if she was in a theatre.

Professor Snape stood facing him, he was quite a bit taller than Lockhart and stood in front of him with his head held high and a grim expression on his face. The students couldn't be blamed for the fact that some of them were afraid of him.

Lysanna knew Lockhart wouldn't stand a chance against Snape, she just hoped the Potions Master would restrain himself before class would end with them having to take Lockhart to the hospital wing.

When she reached the dais, she nodded to Lockhart.

-

Severus saw the fear in his opponent's eyes, it brought a lofty grin to his face. Almost imperceptibly, his lips curled up.

Lockhart's gaze was still directed at McGonagall's niece, apparently he still hadn't understood that on the one hand she was taken and on the other hand she seemed to be the only one who noticed that there was nothing hidden behind Lockhart's facade.